1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Permagreen tranny

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by awagner9, Oct 14, 2013.

1. awagner9

awagner9 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW,Ohio

Need help the end of the cast that holds the axle broke and mount is cracked. The only fix a whole new trans axle and transmission. I was reading that these run between $500-$750, but I called pg and they told me $1054. Wondering if I can get somewhere cheaper???? Any info would be great. Thanks Alex

2. chevyflan

chevyflan LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Ijust got one from ground logic $657.91 plus26.75 shipping phone 402-423-4340 took 1 day to get it also got a boom a couple months ago got it in 1 day good people to work with. Called permagreen twice left message and no one ever got back to me .

3. awagner9

awagner9 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW,Ohio

Thanks for the info. Did ur replacement come with the whole assembly? Or do u have to use same old parts, like hubs? Thanks alex

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience...the transmission case in aluminum...and it is susceptible to corrosion due to fertilizer. If even a few particles get trapped in recesses or lodged against the tranny cooling fins, corrosion begins. Worse if the temp is high and the humidity is high. The gears are fine--the outer case deteriorates.
    The transmission is made by Peerless. Used in lawnmowers and lawn tractors. Talk to a lawnmower shop. They may be able to find one. Keep it clean!

5. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find the transaxle PN, you may be able to order from Jacks small engines, or do a search online for the PN and locate a local shop that may be able to get it for you. Looks like it could be 1/2 the price compared to equipment manufacturer.
    I will be looking for some other PG parts this winter to replace worn parts for next spring. Let me know if there is a good place to locate parts for the PG Magnum SS.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013