Permagreen Ultra tranny leak

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Aug 19, 2009.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. Runs fine, but tranny oil all over my carrier. I suspect the almuminum transaxle case had corroded until a hole developed. Aluminum, fertilizer and high humidity--yuck.

Any advice on how to correct this situation? I think I heard someone on here say you could buy just the outer case if the gears themselves were OK.

If I can find a jack to lift it. I am planning to remove the four bolts that hold the transaxle and remove it to check to see where any leak might be--and possible seal it with epoxy or something. Or is there a seal around the axle that is more likely leaking? I understand a new transaxle is about $649.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Where it is leaking is probably right out the case toward the end of the axle. This is where they corrode through first. It was me that had the info on getting the cases, I believe. I'll see if I can find it, or perhaps you can do a search using words PG, tranny, case, and under my name.

3. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem, although mine is a centri. I am guessing they are the same transaxle.

4. amerigreen

amerigreen LawnSite Member
    from mn

Sorry to here about the leak. In our experience when it starts leaking you have about 25 to 50 hours and then its shot. We have tried just about everything including a new case. Did not work, finally got the case together and leak leak leak was a waste of time and money. Thought of drilling a hole in the top to add fluid so it would not dry out to get a couple more hours out of it. Let me know if you try something and it works as we go though two of these a year.

5. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

thought these peerless trans were just packed with grease at the factory

anyway, any one know what model # it is?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No grease. Just fluid. We DO have the ultimate resolve to this, after many trials and attempts. This is after finding that even the Line-X coating had limited results.
    If you guys start being nice to me and start treating me like one of the gang, and let me hang out a little, I may even share it with you. :)

7. RigglePLC

There is a rubber plug in front about 2 inches to the left of the shifter shaft. Pull the plastic back (if any). And grab the plug with pliers and pull it out. According to Pat at Permagreen you should have about a quarter inch of oil in there if you use a dipstick. I added 90w tranny oil. Cheap fix. But it is leaking worse in the last week or two. Use a screwdriver to push the rubber plug back in.

Peerless site has a picture of the tranny--BUT--there are about a hundred different types--and they all look the same. Used on most garden tractors.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

LOL Joe!!
    I will be your friend.:laugh:

9. RigglePLC

I took the leaking transaxle out of my Permagreen Ultra today. 8 wheel bolts, (13/16ths). 7 tranny bolts--all half inch. There was an amazing amount of corrosion where the fert particles had collected in crevices formed by the cooling fins on top of the tranny near the ends of the axle. I cleaned it off and found two small holes . Patched them with quick dry epoxy repair putty. Stood it on end to reassemble. Flooded because I forgot to shut off the fuel valve. Finally started and seemed to run OK. Wanna see the pics?

10. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Pics would be great if you have them. Just in case I run into this in the future with my PG Magnum.....are they the same axle? Can't believe how difficult it is to get all particles of fert off/out of machine when done for the day....using compressed air and then WD40 on everything except brake bands! Still see some rust spots starting.