1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Permagreen ultra voltage question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by unior, Mar 5, 2007.

1. unior

unior LawnSite Member

Question, my permagreen ultra buggy has been going through pumps...i just checked the voltage at the pump....its 14 at idle and almost 22 at wide open throttle...

this dosnt seem right? any ideas?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I could get that many volts! You ARE running it through the voltage regulator/rectifier aren't you? It is the square aluminum box with a couple wires coming out on the lower left. I seems to me the voltage regulator will keep it down to about 15 volts or so. It protects the battery and pump. I think it also changes AC to DC current.

Anybody else care to share their voltage readings?
  3. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

It does sound like the voltage regulator has been by-passed. PG recommends this when they go bad. If you are blanket spraying, you can burn up the pump and overcharge the battery if you have one.
    AC is changed into DC with a diode that is wired into the charging coil under the blower cover. Often, when you think the coil has burnt up it's actually the diode has fried. You can get a new one at Radio Shack for about $1.00.
  4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I bypassed mine on the recommendation of PG. They didn't tell me it could fry the pump. It has over charged the battery. Do you recommend replacing it(regulator)? If so can you buy one of the shelf somewhere?
  5. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you could buy one from somewhere. You might try j-thomas. I've never fried a pump, but running 20v into a 12v motor will cause excess heat. It would probably take a few hours of constant spraying to do it, like maybe spraying a large park or a few ball fields.
  6. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We have had the same problem with our PG's, over time. We have burnt up pumps and fried batteries. We have actually swithed to using small lawn mower batteries instead of the battery pack that was original. In all of our cases, the voltage regulator / rectifier was bad. The engine putting out more voltage than the pump or battery could take has been the culprit. I would definately look into replacing the regulator, after market ones have worked well for us.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I've been told by our LESCO dealer that some guys switch to a motorcycle battery mounted up above on the side.

We're going to look into this shortly.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't mind building a bracket, a lawn tractor battery has a lot more staying power. The low-cost ones are $20 at Home Depot.

Fertilizer and high humidity corrode and break copper wire quickly. It is best to avoid any splices or tee connections in the wireing--especially under the hood near the fertilizer. Fatter heavy guage wires will deliver more power without heating up. To avoid the splices run three wires from the hot side of the battery. One to starter switch. Second to pump switch. Third to voltage regulator. Try to route all wires around the back of the machine to avoid the fertilizer as much as possible. Wherever you MUST connect two wires--seal it airtight by coating the junction with silicone, hot glue, heat shrink tubing, or many layers of tape. Of course the starter wire has to go through the neutral safety switch in the front of the tranny.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The newer PG's don't have electric pumps,....correct?

I keep reading about PG's and see mention about electrical problems.

Looks to be all mechanical on the new ones.
  10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Your right about that. I'm on the 3rd season with my Magnum, and they eliminated all the electrical problems on it. I just wonder why it took them 10 years to come up with this simple design?