Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Dec 28, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I just looked at a Permagreen Magnum for 2008. They made a few changes. The motor mounts have spacers so now you can rinse underneath the motor to remove fertilizer residue--and moisture. Should reduce the chance of motor corrosion.

And they added cushiony thick foam pads for the feet--should help to absorb some of those bumps and vibrations--good idea.

They added very soft comfortable handgrips--not so different from the ones I have been using for years.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The foot pads are awesome!

I have never had a problem with buildup under the motor myself....

If any of you have an older PG Mag, call them and they will send you all the updates. I have an 06 machine and they sent me the spacers for both the motor mount and for the tank. They also sent me the foot pads. I didn't get the hand grips though. I guess I can probably get them at Walmart or call PG and see what the cost of them are.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also...just a little trick....When and if you put new grips on, simply spray the handlebar with hairspray (like Aquanet), slide the grip on, and when it sticks. An old trick I learned back when I raced BMX and went through grips regularly. :)
  4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I have not seen the new foot pads so those that have can answer this. How do you think they will hold up too the pressure of use? I see them tearing, peeling off and left standing on one or both gone quickly. Am I wrong?
  5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally don't see the need for a padded platform. Seems like ribbons and bows. Eventually they'll fall off. Looks good in the show room though. JMO!
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

After I stand on that thing all day...I can feel it in my legs a little! If wearing tennis shoes or comfortable shoes my they probably wouldn't hurt..but I wear boots (which are the most comfortable I could find) that don't have a ton of support.

There is a lot of down pressure on our bodies even when walking due to gravity and also the overall forces while riding the machine. Any "shock" that can be taken out is much easier on our bodies!

It is like a fella working on an assembly line all day. If he stands on concrete his legs hurt, but it he stands on a rubber mat they don't.

Same concept!

I think them will help tremendously! If they work, but fall off I will get another set!
  7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion is all you really need is a good pair of work boots, something w/a padded sole. i've used stand on mowers for 10 yrs and now PG for the last year. My feet never bother me. However if they come w/ the machine now, why the hell not.
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

ribbons and bows, now there is an idea! anyone see the chapel show?
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Motor mounts with spacers -- great idea. (less vibration too). Foam foot pads = also good. Soft handgrips = also nice. I'm glad PG is updating what they already have. But it seems to me than most of us could, 1) install rubber spacers, 2) paste on foam foot pads, 3) slide on soft hand grips, and it would not cost much money. Actually, we installed all of the above over a year ago. The rubber spacers came from Auto Zone. The foam foot pads came from Menards (but we drilled holes in them to allow for foot traction & to allow for debris to pass through). Handle grips came from WalMart. (we used spit, but the hairspray idea is a good one).

Seems to me that the above improvements are nice, but we've done all of them, plus we've also tweaked out PG's so they kill difficult weeds too (much more of a concern with me).

To me, this is like trying to make a Chevy into a's still the same basic machine, but the design just ain't good enough to call it a five star award winner.

There is a unit coming out in early spring that addresses all of the above, and it is ground up technology. It far exceeds what the above is trying to do.

My two cents worth.
  10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Any word on the relationship with Lesco since JD buyout?