permagreen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jun 21, 2009.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have an old Permagreen Ultra. Last week it started making a chirping squeak sound at times. Only when moving. I cannot locate the source of the sound, but possibly it is from the front wheels or near there. So...I found the rubber oil filler plug on top of the tranny--and added about 1/3 bottle of gear oil.
    Anybody know how much to add or how to check this? Source of squeaks? It is running OK--but--5 dollars for gear oil is a lot easier than a new tranny.

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Mine started doing that a while ago. We found the roller bearing on the rear tires were shot.

3. RigglePLC

Lifted (with difficulty) the rear wheels spin--no squeak. So i suspected the front transaxle bearings.
    No more squeak afer I added the 90 wt oil. Hope that cures it. And for good.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Take into consideration, that they may not squeak when the machine is lifted and pressure is off of them. Much like a wheel bearing in a car.

5. RigglePLC

Permagreen Ultra. Spotted oil leaking out onto the carrier. Left side axle seal or something near there is leaking. I added 90 wt gear oil. It works Ok for the time being.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Keep an eye on it if it is a seal or close the end (wheel) of the transaxle. I had one leaking and did not get it to the mechanic quickly enough and now hope that we did not ruin the transaxle.