Permagreens and Pre-Emergents

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenerlandscapes, Nov 12, 2007.

1. greenerlandscapes

greenerlandscapes LawnSite Member

I have not used my Centri (1 gpm) to spray pre-emergents before and wondering if others do and what their success has been. I read somewhere one time where a guy was running both high and low nozzles at the same time and another who ran low gear with high gear nozzles. I am open for suggestions! Thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am not farmilar with your machine (Centri), but I have always used my PG Mag and that is how I apply my pre. I am only spraying like .28gal/1000.

Think about when you are using a granular pre. You are not getting 100%blanket coverage. No difference when using a PG, but actually you will be getting much better coverage then using granular!

Good Luck!

3. greenerlandscapes

Your Magnum must have the 2 gpm pump. I only spray about .13 gal/1000 and that is why I was concerned about coverage. Like you said you don't get 100% blanket coverage with a granular so I was looking for a spray alternative to granular and still use the Permagreen.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is liquid THAT much cheaper than granular to be attempting this?

Wouldn't it just be easier/faster to go granular? Especially on larger properties.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought that there is not enough carrier ( water) to get the A.I down to the soil. Same with insecticides when targeting soil inhabitors. It also wouldn't be cost effective to use pre's from the PG as stated above. JMO

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You don't have to use high gallons on pre's as it takes rain to incorporate/activate it anyway.

You are correct that is does take more gallons for insects as the PG is probably not a good idea. You have to look at the chemistry, mode of action and how the products work to know if you can get by with low gallons.

7. greenerlandscapes

That is what I was thinking on the pre-emergent. Irrigation (or rain) will move it down to the soil where it needs to be. It seems like I could apply the liquid for less than half the cost of granular and get better results. What are you spraying with your Magnum? Any problems with separation in the tank with no agitation?

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

When I use liquid I use Pre M, but last year I finished off the season with 19-0-6 Dim.

The only think I don't like about the Pre M is it stains everything.

Driving through the lawn is enough to keep it suspended. I have never had any issues with separation personally.

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

rcreech, Especially on full sun lawns, what kind of results did you get when compared to using liquid pre from the PG MAG. and say 19-0-6 w/ dimension. Also, what was your cost perK when using liquid added on top of your cost p/K for the fert on that same App.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm to assume that Liquid Dimension and a granular fert is cheaper than a full granular 13-2-5 or 19-0-6 Dimension?

How about ease of application? Seems like it may be harder to coordinate spray on-spray off.....fert-on, fert-off. Or does this become second nature?