1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Permanent mounting a pigtail

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dennis Spencer, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

Just remove cover and clamp on pigtail, drill two holds add spacers and machine screws.You have a weather proof connection .

2. Looks great and professional .....
  3. Awesome! I can sell them cheaper without the hood. Plus I can have them made shorter which would reduce the cost as well. Great job Dennis.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I liked the one that came with the Sidekick, with the flip-up cover, but I think that cover is a lot more expensive than the conduit fitting shown here.
  5. Like about 30.00 more maybe? If TRC and RM weren't so brain dead a peon like me wouldn't be making money selling pigtails.
  6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

what kind of remote controls do i need to start looking into guys?

i use rainbird clocks mainly
  7. Rain Master is my choice. Look for one on Ebay. Don't pay more than 400.00 and figure a possible 200.00 repair bill. The new ones run about 1400.00 so getting one for 600 or less is a great deal IMO. The ESPM is the easiest clock out there to hook a pigtail up to. The screw terminal is easy to access and they have a valve test terminal to hook up the blue/white or remote power wire. This used to be our clock of choice just because it was easy to install pigtails. Any timer that uses screw terminals are easy to hook up to. Speaker wire types like the old ESP/ Toros/ WM outdoor SL are a real pain.
  8. Dennis was this part of a new timer install? I'm contemplating developing an off shoot of this using a SO junction box so the wire conduit pipe doesn't have to be redone on existing timers. Does the extension I sent you stay in okay? Were you able to plug the RM unit right in or did you have to use the extension? It seems you would need three types of junction boxes.
    One like you put in for new clock installs.
    A second for coming out of the timer and mounting it right below.
    A third for installing outside against the house if the timer is in the garage and going through the back of the junction box.

it seems a junction box with multiple knockout options would be ideal so inventory could be limited to one type for all the needs.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

?? Carlon 1 gang weatherproof box.

and perhaps with this cover?
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think I paid $50.00 for a 24 zone pigtail & flip-up mount. Considering one
    should be charging for mounting the pigtails in boxes or LBs, the TRC is
    prolly a wash. I will be mounting a FIMCO pigtail next week in a splice box,
    will post pics & show you my technique. Dennis' is a nice install.