Permeable pavers not the only permeable pavement

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Dec 9, 2012.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

There is a new shopping center on the area. It has a permeable parking lot. But it's not pavers. Seems the paver industry has some competition in the permeable market.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cameronderzack

cameronderzack LawnSite Member

What is this surface construction of the new shopping center?

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

There are several sample sites I am aware of near me.

I am not aware they have a good poured conctrete that will hold up in our area.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Competition is good!

5. DVS Hardscaper

I'll shoot a picture of the lot next time I'm there. The shopping center even has signs up that explain the lot is permeable.

Here all this time I was under the impression that permeable surfaces could only be accomplished with pavers. And that the paver industry would own permeable pavements.

6. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Ive seen permeable asphalt used at shopping centers in literature but not in real life. They should make it mandatory in my opinion these huge aspalt parking lots that are 1/4 full 90% of the time are huge wastes of money , ugly, and bad for water runoff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Permeable asphalt and permeable concrete have been around for quite some time. The University of new Hampshire (where I went to school) is one of, if not the leading university in research of permeable pavements. In 2004 they installed a 5000sf permeable asphalt parking lot that is still in use today. And about two years ago they installed a large permeable paver parking lot for research that I have posted photos on here of in the past.

8. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

Yeah we just did a big job in downtown Syracuse, pervious concrete. I didn't believe at first either, but once it was all done we tested it with a water main, the water just dispersed into the concrete. pretty awesome.

9. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

Back in 2008 the largest pervious concrete job in the US was here in williamsburg, va. Something like 7a acres.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/parking-lot-big-big-and-ecofriendly

a fellow contractor aquantiance of mine is big into it (just did a food lion) pretty cool stuff. Went fishing with him a while back and picked his brain on it. I guess decorative pervious is out now as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

The picture in the article looks quite similar to the parking lot I'm referring to.