Permethrin and grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stressed, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

I bought some howard johnsons brand permethrin and it says on label it will control white grubs at a stronger rate of course.I dint think permethrin controlled grubs.Has anyone ever used permethrin for grubs.

2. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

will not control grubs, the active in permethrin will bind with organic material and will not move down to the root zone were feeding activity occurs. works well for surface active insects. permethrin products tend to be mis-labled when it comes to white grub control

use sevin or dylox, both of which need to be watered in to be effective

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Stressed

For what ever reason Grubs here in Florida seem to be in much higher populations in Neighborhoods built on Man made canals. The farther away from these Man made canals the less grub problems seem to be. Obviously the soil has the environment grubs like. Bayer no longer honors Grub failure of Merit and doesn't claim control of the sugarcane grub at all. But the point here is this sandy soil which lacks SOM still won't let Permethrin sink far enough to control grubs. Permethrin does appear to be better at controlling pyramid ants than Bifenthrin.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I learned the hard way early on that Permethrin binds in the the thatch layer, if not higher - and won't do crap for turf eating insects...

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure it isn't bifenthrin? That is a more commonly advertised product for grub control,...even though THAT doesn't work, either. It is amazing how many products claim to do something, but so many have such limited to no effect(s). Too many of these products bond to the surfaces and not reach their target areas.
    Here is a great article by MSU concerning these products (granted, these products are written about spring results in this particular bulletin). It DOES give a fine example of the pouring of pesticides into the consumer market by all these retail outlets - especially the big box stores which tout and push these products all year long, and 90% of the time, they are the wrong time. Example, you can buy products with imidicloprid in April through October. Anyway, here is the link to the bulletin: http://www.turf.msu.edu/grubs_spring.htm

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

In an other Thread I stated that the American Public has gotten used to being lied too with false advertisement. I believe you link to Mich State Which is an excellent turf school has proven the advertisement is false.

BTW I read a study years ago where Bifenthrin was slit applied about 6 inch below the surface and controlled Mole Crickets and suppressing Grubs. But how many of us have the equipment to slit apply Bifenthrin.