Permission to be on property Letter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RoyalZ, Mar 27, 2005.

1. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

I am in my second season solo and am thinking about sending a letter to customers to have them sign a "Permission to be on property" letter to keep on file for the duration of the mowing months Basically March thorugh November here in Charlotte NC. I heard of one guy mowing and someone from the neighborhood stopped him and stated he needed to leave the property because the owner was not home. What do you Pros think?

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

tell him to hand you 50 big ones for a return trip fee. Tell him the homeowners will pay him back......

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that guy the owner? Disregard! If you use contracts...that is your permission. Even w/o one a verbal agreement is enough.

4. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice...I record all of my conversations in North Carolina this is considered legal according to the website http://www.rcfp.org/taping/. A Verbal agreement is what I will go on then instead of pressing someone to bind themselves to a contract of any kind. I beleive they run when they have to push their signature over to a lawncare person. I also considered joining the Better Business Bureau.

5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Better Business Bureau is for suckers.

Don't waste your money. It's a big scam, in my humble opinion.

Here's how it works:

1. Some schmuck makes an inquiry about your track record with the BBB. They say we have no record with them, or something like that.

2. A "representative" of the BBB calls you up to discuss a serious matter - this inquiry, and how they don't really know anything about you to be able to endorse you. The representative suggests an in person meeting at your office (or wherever) and hints that it might be possible for you to become a BBB member - if you are good enough.

3. Salesman in a tie and suit meets with you. Discusses your business. He determines that you should be permitted to become a member and makes the offer. (Lucky you.) If you resist ---> heavy, heavy pressure!

Screw them, man. It's a scam. What do you need them for?

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have been polite and said no and continued with my job.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

should have told that neighbor to pack sand

8. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I totally agree! Customer gets mad & thinks if they turn us in to the BBB, they will handcuff us & take us off to neveroperateagain land. It is just another scheme to make money, making merchants think they will get more business & consumers thinking that they are protected.
    MJ

9. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I second you..If you have been hired to do a job, do it. That is between you and the homeowner, not some nosy neighbour.

How many other cases of this have you heard about??

I wouldnt even give it a second thought...

-Reuben

10. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I agree with you as well..Though it must be noted, that like any other association that people recognize when they see your company name, it will trigger a connection, a safety of sorts...

So while I agree with you that it works that way, and that it is just a way of making money like everything else, I think that it would pay for itself a few times each year.

As far as being reported to them, yes that is a joke...

-Reuben