Permit to hang flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ssroseberry, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ssroseberry

ssroseberry LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever heard of having to get a permit through a city to hang door fliers?

I just received a call from the H.O.A. of the neighborhood I live in stating that other homeowners called to complain about my hanging door fliers. He stated I have to get a permit through the city or the police will fine me for passing out fliers.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've never heard that one. I'd check with the county or town to see what the rules are. They might be blowing smoke up your you-know-what.
  3. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Some cities require a permit to conduct door-to-door solicitations. It was meant to curb traveling salesmen but is still on the books. Police roll their eyes at obsolete laws like that but will enforce it when asked. Just to get their goat get the permit and keep using the flyers.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, we have it here and its called a "peddlers permit" Need to get it through the city to do things like that.
  5. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Most cities in TX have "peddlers Permit" fees. I have had to file 6 this year. The price ranges from 50 for 3 months to 100 for the year. I did not have alot of complaints from the home owners, rather received a call from a cop who lived in the area I handed out the flyers.... Telling me to stop as they showed no permit on file for my company.... Oh how wrong he was.... Damn Hillbilly.:mad:

The fine for not having a permit is $10.00 per report / complaint

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of hanging flyers. What i have done in my neighborhood is a mass mailing to thoses people in my own neighborhood. Just to make shure they know what i do, I pull my gear in my area on wednesdays, and have signs on my truck. Also my home address is on my cards.

Then with the aide of the tax records i i check out the high profile areas and mail them too, after the mailing i drive by on my way to other houses to cut so people can see me.Now i have over 15 stady customers and it is gowing up.payup payup payup payup :drinkup: :drinkup:
  7. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

How do you do that mass mailing or address them and get all the addresses that is a really good idea i want to try it in my area
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi ssroseberry,

This might be something specific to that home owners association and not your city.