Persistent Dandelions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KTNC, May 16, 2005.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Hey guys -

I've done 2 applications (spot spray only, not a uniform application)this spring of concentrated Ortho weed B Gone and I still have some dandelions that are in bloom. Overall I've knocked out probably more than half, but I'm concerned about the rest. Mowing about 1.5 acres.

Should I step up to Trimec and continue to just spot spray? Any other suggestions?

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget the ortho stuff. It's nothign more than diluted water. Not sure if you have a Lesco near you but if you do go get either "Three-way" or Momentum. Both of these work great. If you have a tractor supply near you, you can get Trimec (2-4-D). They have a couple different versions, get the one that has the highest concentration of 2-4-D (I think it was around 28%) I don't remember what the actual name is but it too works good. Personally, I'd go to Lesco but if it isn't convienient the Trimec should work.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Dandelions are biannual and the easiest time to get them is the fall when there uptake is increased for winter survival. For 1.5 acres I would invest in a pull behind sprayer and do a blanket app in spring and fall until your turf is thick enough to prevent most germination.

4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I totally agree. I bought a gallon (gallon is going to last me for ever :rolleyes: ) of Momentum at my local Lesco for my own use. The stuff works great.

5. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks guys...

I don't have a tractor supply or Lesco around within 120 miles... Is there a place to order this stuff on line? I thought my local hardware store (Aubuchons) use to carry Trimec, but it's no longer on their website..? How about Lowes or Home Depot?

Also when applying, what is the best back pack type sprayer I could get so I could mix this stuff and walk around the lawn?

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Dandelions are perennials, but you are correct that fall is a better time to control them.

7. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Lesco has online shopping.