personal days for office staff

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenworldh20, Mar 5, 2004.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we just hired a bookeeper for the office. with the addition of the newest employee, we now have 4 people in the office. they are:

office manager/account manager
    office manager's assistant
    account manager' assistant
    bookeeper

now, we want to offer these persons benefits...like a 'real' company does. what should we offer them in terms of vacation days, sick days, personal days...

we were thinking along the lines of 5 sick days for employee to use as they would like. we were also thinking about 'well' days. that is if said employee did not miss a day for a period of time (one month) and they were not late to work in that period, then they would recieve a 'well' day. it is a reward for not being absent.

can i get some feed back on this topic?

brian

2. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

I once worked for a company that if you were not late more than one hour (only could be late one time) or out of work for a period of 90 days you would earn 4 hours pay. You could use the accumulated hours as you wished, 4 or 8 at a time. They never fussed about using this time as opposed to vacation time. You always got this if you requested it.
    Everyone loved it.

3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Our company provides 5 paid days during the year if full time. Each additional year adds 1 year to the paid days. So, if you worked for the company for 3 years, you get 5, plus 2 extra..so a total of 7 paid days. And the paid days do not carry over. The sick days is combined with vacation days. There are bereavement leaves that apply and those vary on instances. The company also pays for half of health insurance and deducts the other half from the employees paycheck, provided the employee is taking the health insurance plan. They also provide a 401k plan, paying 3% each paycheck towards the plan. It's reasons like these I remain with the company I am for 5 years.

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

O got his idea from a friend that worked for Ma Bell for many years. No vacation, no sick days call them all personal days. If a person is full time 5 paid days to start seems a little weak but I don't know.

5. Tom M

Tom M LawnSite Member

I like Harolds idea, just call them all personal days since thats what it boils down to anyway.

6. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

I'll third that - "personal days" If you make a distinction between vacation and sick days while paying only for unused vacation days, employees will always find a way to use up the sick days first (and these day will pop-up at the last minute because that is exactly how a sickness situation is-last minute, sometimes leaving you in a bind) Regardless if you pay for both types, sick days will always show up enexpectedly at the last minute, that is their nature.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of companies are going to the "PTO" - Paid Time Off. It lumps Vacation, Sick, Personal all into one. The employee takes off the time for whatever reason they want.

8. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

That's what we use. It is nice to have the other leave types though such as bereavment in there seperately since it's pretty rare and the personell isn't exactly wanting that to happen.