personal input please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John at JDH Select, May 23, 2003.

1. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

We are currently mowing ~120 residential cuts per week using a combination of Dixie diesels, walker brand ZTR, Gravely ZTR and several walk behind units. Equipment is starting to age and I am considering new equipment purchases. Based on many of the threads I have been monitoring, many of you are leaning toward the Hustler Super Z and the Laser Z. I am leaning heavily toward the Hustler based on the apparent durability and simplified design. I am more concerned about cut quality than ground speed, but the dealers are telling me that the Hustler surpasses DC in both categories. Would you please share your personal choices regarding both the Hustler Z and the Laser. Thanks for your input.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

What model of Gravely are you currently using and why are you not considering them for the future?

Gravely_Man

3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a picture of my super z's cut quality

exspressway view.jpg

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know from whom or where you heard that the Hustler is faster or has a better cut quality that the DCs but it is wrong. All of the DC XTREME MOWCHINES from the 60" to the 80" (yeah, that right, Dixie has a 80" mower) are rated at 15 mph ground speed. And those speeds are at 3600 rpm which we all know is the minimum. Most Dixies are setup at 3750. And cut quality is extremely judgemental. What one person says is a nice cut may not be to the next person. Of course the Hustler dealers are telling you this, they want to sell you a mower.

Try them all out before you buy. And make sure you try a NEW Dixie.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Richard,
    Have you run the Hustler on your properties to compare or prove this statement.
    Let me know
    Thanks
    Pj

6. Richard Martin

PJ,

Your website states "Top speed of the Hustler Super Z™ is 15 mph, making this the fastest z-rider on the market." which is the same as Dixie Chopper's XTREME MOWCHINES.

Have I tried the Hustlers on my properties? No but if I may point out you had your opportunity last year to run the Hustlers against Dixies at the 1st Annual Maryland Cookout and Competition. Hustler was a no-show. Dixie put up and Hustler shut up. You could have proven right then and there in front of 30 attendees that Hustler was faster and better.

We are having the 2nd Annual Maryland Cookout and Competition at a larger venue this year with at least 1 major municipal's Recreation and Parks employees in attendence. Dixie Chopper will be there. This again would be an excellant opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thats all I needed to hear.

Thanks
    Pj

8. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

"
    I always thought that actual rpm was less than factory quoted best results (like around 3000 based upon torque curves for most small gas engines). Am I wrong?

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Richard,
    We had a dealer lined up to go to your Dixie Chopper cookout.
    When you canceled the show portion of the event he decided to not attend.
    This was no doing of Hustler, it was no doing of mine. I had family plans that weekend and could not attend myself or I would of been there.
    You can ask any LS member that has met me or talked to me, I will gladly demo our product in any manner or situation that needs to be done, if I can be there, I am there, I am sorry I was not able to attend your event.
    Maybe if planned out right this year I may be able to or have a dealer or another rep from Hustler attend.

Later
    Pj

10. Richard Martin

PJ,

The show portion was cancelled because of an inability of manufacturers and local dealers to commit to attend such as yourself. The local Dixie dealer did attend (and had sales) and the east coast Dixie distributor sent a whole truckload of Dixies down. The event was planned last year and was held on the scheduled day. Hustler and any other manufacturer is invited to attend this year's cookout and competition. Will there be an actual show? No. But there will be lots of people there looking. And this isn't like Louisville where the manufacturers have their own little patch of grass to run around on. We run them head to head. It is, after all, a competition.