Personal opinions and sales.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Dec 16, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at a local store buying a "congradulations" ballon for my wife, for getting all A's in college for the first time. I was telling the owner how nice it was that I didn't have to drive into town ( 20 min. ) to buy a balloon. Then she proceeded to tell me how she never drives into town, and how she hates Wal-mart. Which we have in our own suburb. This had nothing to do with our initial conversation. She told me how she never shopped there and how she absolutely hated it.

Well my wife works for the Walmart filing medical claims, my sister works at walmart, I worked at walmart for 4 years through high school and part of college. So needless to say I was put off by her hatred to walmart, and her saying that she would never shop there.

Has anyone ever caught themselves interjecting personal opinions when talking to a customer, when really not necessary? I am sure I have in the past, and I have probably missed out on a sale because of it. Her hatred towards Walmart, turned into my hatred towards her little store. Just by her interjecting her strong personal opinions into our conversation. I would have not been so put off by her hatred if she would have explained it, or wasn't so strong about it.

Just a rambling.
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I may have said something once or twice but normally I stick to the sale and thats it. I have expressed hate for chemlawn but most of the customers realize they suck and I always tell them it would be much better for them to go with a local company and I can set something up with one that I sub to.

But yea I tend to not give personal opinions on things that will cause a sale to go down. She was expresing her hate for walmart because how walmart is stealing business from her like they do all small shops probably.
  3. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I Hate Walmart Too!!!!!!!!
  4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Me too!!!!! sorry Were you one of those guys who get that glazed over look when I ask for help?
  5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I always just told guys like you " Sir, we do not carry blowup dolls here at wal-mart, and can you please stop touching up the manicans. "

Truth be told, I don't love Wal-mart, but I don't hate them. I know why she hates them, but I don't buy into the small local stores, big scary Wal-mart stuff. As a business owner, I respect what Wal-mart has accomplished. Sam Walton knew his stuff. He knew how to run a business and make it profitable. And his kids are even better at.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i also hate wal mart.. they are the death of small businesses everywhere..
    they are keeping wages low, and hurting the communities they move into...
  7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I pretty much say what I think when I am talking with a customer or anyone else for that matter and I have no problem with them expressing their HONEST opinion. Does it always get me a sale, no, but you would be surprised how many people find it refreshing to be talked to honestly. Many times a customer has wanted to do a project that just would not work and I have told them so and tried to come up with a solution that would still fit their needs. They were not always happy with my opinion but most appreciated not being Bullsh'ted. By the way I am no fan of Walmart either for many of the above mentioned reasons.:gunsfirin
  8. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Wal-Mart, well, mixed thoughts about them, I don't mind Wal Mart per say, but I do mind the people who shop there due to their disrespect of other shoppers, I think Sam Walton needs to put in a childs play daze or huge Mcdonald land playgrounds and hire day care providers to watch any child under 16. OOPs, was that out loud??? I am trying to get the Wal Mart contract for lawn and snow removal, gotta try and let it work for me right?
    Best of Luck and Congrats to the wife for getting straight A's!! I never got a balloon!!!
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate Walmart , understatement , the Phoenix paper reported 2,800 Az walmart personal needed medical government assistance cuzz walmart did not pay enough .
    The Waltons are worth 50 billion dollars , they have cost thousands of small business owners their livelihoods .
    There’s a lot of communities through the US that’s trying to block new stores from coming in .
    They sell “junk” stuff that does not last a year , in many cases .
    They promote the manufacturing of junk , using up value resources , filling yp land fills .
    It’s irresponsible business , to me .
  10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

DITTO !!! 100%