Personal pace hard to pull back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hadly, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

I just bought a personal pace super recycler Toro 1 week ago and when you try to pull it back the wheels lock up. If you lift the back wheels off the ground and reach down they are locked up then will eventually free up. This can't be right anyone have similar problems?

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Take it back to where you got it from and have them fix it right.......:nono:

3. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

This is actually the second one and it's doing it also. I am beginning to wonder if it is something I am doing wrong?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had a top of the line Lawnboy with that on and it NEVER worked right. Sometime it is okay then sometime not. I think it is basically a very bad design.

5. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

hello - I’ve used a personal pace mower for the last 4 years and its still going strong (after 1 or 2 sets of wheels and a couple of cables). You have to let the mower roll forward at least 1-2 inches without the drive system engaged. this will free up the rear wheels (your instruction manual has instructions on this - well mine did)

Frank

6. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

Thanks for the reply I will try to see if that helps.

7. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i've experienced this with all of my lawnboys some time or another. it seems to only happen to me when the grass is wet after a light rain or if mowing early in the morning when the moisture on the grass is thick. going an inch or two forward, like the other guy said, works 99% of the time. however, one of my mowers wouldn't unlock so i shot a few squirts of oil in the rear wheels and it works perfectly. hope this helps

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad you guys aren't using Snapper 21s, this wouldn't have been a problem.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My Toro Proline does the same friggin thing... always has.
    Pushing it forward a little doesn't help either...
    And neither did the dealer working on it or me working on it.

I don't know if they share the same wheel engagement setup or not...
    But I did get pretty deep into this issue on here and got some good input.
    I just haven't taken the time to tear back into the darn thing again.
    Don't need it enough to make time to do it.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a personal pace 21" that does it too. And it lost power in one wheel pretty fast. I prefer the drive system on the commerical and older high end residential models. It's probably the same transmissions, but the squeeze to go system is better for me.