1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

personal pace is smoking. anyone know why?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnwizards, Apr 3, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have a toro personal pace that only gets used about 2 hours a week.. well, after i changed the oil in it, it smokes now... but, it only smokes when the carb side is higher then the oil dipstick side.. also its white smoke thats coming out of the exaust...anyone know what might be wrong? thanks

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

check your oil level...it may be too high.

GEO :)
  3. lawnwizards

thats what i was thinking but its at the right level. it also has a burning rubber smell..
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How do those work, are they some sort of belt drive with a gear reduction puley, or what? I've never seen one close up to take a look at it. Well, I guess I have walked by them at the dealer, but I have never actually looked at one. Is this possibly the source of the rubber smoke?
  5. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe you spilled some oil on the pulley and the belt is slipping and getting hot, might try checking that. I somehow got a big glob of grease on my toro's pulley once and it did that.

but is it smokeing out of the motor or the deck? if its the deck id say a belt.

If its the motor id say maybe to much oil, or something.
  6. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

sounds like a lack of oil
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

When you tipped the mower over, did you tip it toward the carb side? If you did you have probably leaked oil into the combustion chamber, the carb, and the air filter sponge, which might cause the burning rubber smell. Pull off your filter cover and check to see if it is soaked with oil. If it is, squeeze it basically dry and try again, or just replace it. I also think you may have overfilled it to begin with. Hope that helps, let us know what happens.
  8. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

That is what the manual says...
  9. lawnwizards

i tipped it to the oil side.. i checked the manual.. it also said it holds 21 ounces of oil. the bottle i had was a 20 oz. you think maybe its the wrong kind of oil?
  10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Hey Lawnwizards did you ever find out what was up with your smoking personal pace?