personal turf trials

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HBFOXJr, Sep 24, 2001.

1. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lot here about core aerating and seeding vs. slit seeding so I decided to run a small limited test.

Also decided to check out fertilizer differences of high N as we would normally apply at this time of year vs. high K low N as we are traditionally K poor and must add a significant amount.

Plots are 8'x25', sandy soil and full sun most of the day. Irrigation installed at seeding. Fertility level, moderate P & K. Low pH of 5.9, lab tested.

The slit seed came up faster and more even than the core aerated area. However it was thinned by dollar spot and growth seems stunted in areas even though all other factors are equal.

Disease did not seem to hurt the core aerated plot. Possibly the microbes brought up or other factors helped suppress disease.

At first the two types of fertilizer did not seem significant but now after 5 weeks past seeding the BIG N is pulling away. 1/4 lb of N at seeding from the 5-10-31 was just not enough to push development.

Surrounding turf remains untouched and untreated so we can appreciate knowing what we do is really working.

Next fertilization we will reverse the applications and see what happens for the rest of the fall and into spring. pH will be adjusted. No touch up seeding will be done to the plots.

I may start larger un-irrigated plots shortly with high N on slit and aerated seed.

erial turf.jpg

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for sharing... This is the type of info I'd like to see more of here!

How much seed did you use?

3. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing your results in the spring.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree, this is a Great Post. We do need more threads like this. Thanks for sharing with us. ;)

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

good job harold,most lawn care companys do not think like that....
    rutgers is paying off...
    ant

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco TeamMates Plus, 70% tall fescue, 20% rye and 10% blue.

Aerated turf about 8lb/K rate and slit seed about 4lb since it was precision done with a Ryan Mataway.

7. Eight lbs. per 1k is a lot of seed for the birds to enjoy.

Since it's much cooler where I do business I like to use a 50-50 rye blue at just 2 lbs per thousand. The normal ESTABLISHMENT rate for 100% blue is 2-3lbs/1k. The normal establishment for rye is 4-5lbs/1k. The rye may be low but all I am using the rye for is quick cover and to give the customer "instant" gratification.

You can reference the about rates at:
    http://www.agronomy.psu.edu/Extension/Turf/Seeds.html

Why did you not just use "normal" starter fertilizer at the bag rate?

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Thanks for sharing the info.

Please keep us up to date on what you experience.

9. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ok...so after all was said and done....which one was better...aerate and seed or slice seed?