Personal vs Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Jun 21, 2004.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Would most of you that run a lawn care business Full Time get a separate vehicle for business use only? I know that so far working in the lawn care business my truck interior has been taking a beating. Also, the exterior has seen a few scratches and accidental dings. Just wondering if most of you guys working full time have a vehicle just for business?

Next Question: Do you buy new or used? I'm thinking used is more likely to experience down time if problems arise from the truck. Also, a new truck would last practically forever (15 years at least on diesel engine). What do you think would be the best bet? New? Used?

Thanks!

2. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Rookie03,
    If you don't mind, I'd also like to ask the professionals on this site what make, model, and size truck do most of you guys own or recommend.

Geoff

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I recommend fairly new trucks. Most of the time less hassle with maintenance compared to the older trucks

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought used but kept the age of them no older then 5 years when I bought them. I left my ex-boss 2 years ago and one of the main reasons was I was sick of driving out of code unsafe pieces of crap that break down several times a month. Were talking wheels falling off and one year I don’t think I had working head lights nor trailer lights at any point in the cutting season at all. Since Iv been on my own Iv not had a single down day from trucks.

As for personal vs. business I honestly don't see that line any more to me its one in the same so Iv no plans of a purely personal vehicle for many years to come. I drove a trans am for about 11 years so I think I got that sports car bug out of my system. Only toy I think about now is a ways off but I do want to get me a H1 hummer.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

When I've got the biz to support it a NPR box van is real high on my list of want's..

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

New is nice if you can afford it. We bought a new 2002 Isuzu NPR HD diesel crew cab and had a custom dump bed made for our mowing truck. Also have a 1996 F250 diesel 4x4, and a 1976 K20 4x4.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

bigger truck means better, but sometimes less MPG? im looking at a 86 ford 4x4 2k, 88 ford 350 4x4 with a plow 3500, and a 91 silverado with a 460 engine 4x4 with 3" lift for 3500.... im not sure what i should get... or if i should just put that 3500 into a down payment on a new truck and have 450 a month payments on a sierra 3500

8. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I used to own hotrods, always had to have a beater.

I used to own big 4x4's, always had to have a beater.

I use my truck for both personal use and work, definitely need to have a beater.

(Of course now that I'm older my "beater" is a luxery car and it doesn't reek of grass or old bait...:D )

9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep the business truck for business and I have a personal truck that I use as a back-up to for my lawn business.

Right now I use a 1995 Ford F-150 4x4 with a loadhandler.
    Good reliable truck for a decent price. $5000 w/ 85k miles.

10. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

Rookie03,

What are you using now? If what you have will do for now, I'd recommend waiting till winter deals come around in the off season. I also recommend if you are going to go for something go for a dual or multi purpose vehicle. Something clean for estimates and customer relations as well as durable and capable of being a good work truck. So for now, keep what you have and put the money towards newer and bigger. Sometimes, a new F-450 diesel or Chevy 4500 diesel can be cheaper then a 3500 gas with all the bells and whistles like power windows and cumfy seating. Simple law of supply and demand....

What do you want to do?.....Reinvest in your company on a work truck and maybe buy something a little more personal later when you've established a little cushion in the bank.....or, ride in stye now....

Branching out.....
    on my own.............