Personal yard - 1.5 acres - what mower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by user123, Dec 22, 2006.

1. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

Here are some pics of my personal yard (well, soon to be yard...likely with Bermuda).

1.5 acres total land area, mostly flat. What mower is recommended? Type, brand, etc?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Do you want to do anything with the mower besides cut grass? Like pull an aerator? Maybe mount a bucket on the front or something like that? For homeowners I like Simplicity's line of mowers. They're rugged, dependable and long lasting. They have some models that are fast (9.5 mph) and turn on a dime. Diesels, Kohler and other engines are available.
  3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Definantly consider the simplicitys. With the lower cutting heights of bermuda grass, I'd think that the full-width roller in the back would really help to prevent scalping and to deliver a great cut.The dealer in my town says that he's sold over 75 in the past 3 years, with only 3 or 4 coming in with a problem of any sort. I strongly considered one earlier this year, but passed. Very comfortable mowers. We have an organization in town that built a ballpark complex and is going to donate it to the city in a couple of years. I've played on the field and I must say, the cut quality is very good. I've been wanting to post a pic of the field so here it is-
  4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd look into a residential lawn tractor, i have a craftsman garden tractor that i bought b4 my Z and its got the 50in deck, 48in plow, weights, and chains and its a 95 and has well over two thousand hours and is still running very strong. It doesnt get used much but it sure is a good machine. Toro makes some nice tractors, and John Deere too. Also Simplicity is a great brand my neighbor has an old one and that thing stripes amazingly. I'd shop around. Hope This Helps! -Mitch-
  5. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

That back yard reminds me of Texas chainsaw massacre for some reason. Creepy.
  6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I am supprised many on here are recomending Simplicity. I have a 48" simplicity ZTR (about 2 years old), and although it doesn't scalp very much. It doesn't deliver a stripe, AT ALL, and the cut isn't THAT great.

If you are only wanting to cut grass, and leave a nice cut, I would just buy a used commercial ztr, and it would probably last you 20 years because you would only put about 25 hours on it per year (and most of us put that on our mowers in a week). You could probably pick one up for $4k with 1000 hours, a 60" commercial that is.

For brand, I would just get the brand of whatever dealer is near you. Probably Toro, Exmart, Scag, Dixie Chopper are some of the better brands, although you won't put enough hours on the mower to really matter.

My $.02

- Josh
  7. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I mowed 2 acres of land with the same Snapper 36" cut rider for 30 years!!! The mower held up fine itself --- though I've had over 8 engines replaced in that same time span!!

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Get you a good hydro residential riding mower twenty something horse. Get it with a 50 or so inch deck you will be set and you can pull all your rollers areartors and seeders with to Just my 2 cents
  9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Does that have the full thing of rollars on it? And it will stripe better if you have thick grass, not skimpy grass.
  10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i'd get some grass growing first before i broke the bank on a nice mower.