Personality - Rate it / Percentage

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mdvaden, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This may be impossible to gauge, but may be easy to answer.

When starting a business, or getting customers, how big of a factor do you think that a person's personality is?

Is is a 10% factor?

Do you think it's 90% of what will make or break a business?

How would you describe this aspect in your own words?

If it is a factor, what do you think people or companies could do to adapt to this aspect? Because I've seen no college course on Personality 101.
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Its at least 90% , customers #1 reason for buying from you
    " felt comfortable with contractor"
  3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Personality certainly is important. There are hundreds of guys in every city with a truck and a mower, but if you can get to know somebody, you have an edge. This is one of the problems I'm thinking about as I try to decide how large I want my company to be. I'm solo right now, part-time since I'm still in school, but I know all of my customers, and their pets, by name. There's Fritz, Mickey, Abbey, Hope, Bronty (well, I don't know how to spell his name, but that's how it sounds anyway). Most of my customers are older people too, like 60s-80s, so they want somebody they can trust to treat them right.
  4. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Agree with everyone. Anyone can mow or dig holes. I just hired 2 guys with limited irrigation knowledge but have the appearance and people skills to make people feel comfortable. I can teach the tech stuff but some people are just born with people skills.
  5. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Some people are just naturals. David loves to make people smile and feel good about everything. He always seems to know what is appropriate and when. And, yes, his personality is why he has some of the work he does.

I can't do it. It always take me a little while to get to know people or for them to know me. I just don't have the "gift".
  6. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

sorry, but i feel this is a pretty weird survey.

personality as a percentage of importants VARIES depending on what other skills you have.

if you are dumb as bricks and show up and do your job you'll get by without a personality, and have a slow growth but low turnover.

if you are a lazy ass, or have half baked workers, you could use your personality to smooze, sell, calm customers down, sell, bribe employees, sell........just have to deal with high turnover.

it's important.....but it isn't the only thing that will kill you or save you.