Personalized catch cans/cups

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Feb 10, 2013.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

2. irrig8r

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not really liking any of those for auditing, for various reasons, least of which throat diameter and height.

This might be more appropriate (or similar), assuming you order a large enough quantity (5000 units for custom printing).

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/T004

4. irrig8r

Agree that they might not be accurate. Not sure why catch cans are shaped the way they are.

These may work as a marketing device though.... not for auditing, but to remind customers when it has or hasn't rained and to associate your name and number with that.

5. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

The shape of the audit catch can is to allow capture of measurable irrigation water in a short period of time and calibrated. They also sit in the stands so you can get a better placement of the cup and they sort of self level in those stands. I say sort of because you can still install them crooked but they are more forgiving than a rain gage with a narrow throat on a spike.

I do agree that they would make a nice marketing gift.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i am interested in what this thread might bring. very good idea to the OP. you could get waterproof stickers, and put them on containers similar to what kiril posted, but maybe more substantial as to not blow in the wind. not that you would be testing in the wind or anything, but could be left in place for more than a short while for continued testing

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Funnel + Test Tube = Catch Can

8. irrig8r

There must be some multiplier that accounts for the width of the opening... in fact I think we went over that in a class and asked how the number was arrived at... have to check my notes.

9. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

My Auditing software allows for me to put in the throat data.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks all for the help. Gregg, I like the rain gauge idea. That may be option B, but heck, we never get any rain for it to be in use. :)
    A friend send be a link for these catch cups and the smaller $2.00 homeowner style are the closest to what I was looking for, but not exact yet. And these would not be personalized. I know a local fert and squirt company that had some made up in the style I am looking for, but we don't talk anymore for different reasons, so I won't be asking them.

The ones I'm thinking of, are small - about a 2" diameter throat, about 2" high can, and it has about a 1"-2" center post for a quick stab into the ground, no outer legs.