Personnel question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TurfProSTL, Oct 17, 2006.

1. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If you were expanding into design/build (we’re almost exclusively mowing, fert & landscape maintenance now), what would you look for in an employee to start this division for you? Experience – education – salesmanship – hands on?

How would you pay him/her? Salary – commission – bonus – gross – net?

Any suggestions are appreciated…..

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I would certainly want a college grad or someone who is well experienced if you can afford it. I'd say nothing less than $34,000 and experience and knowledge goes up from there.......also responsibility. You don't want to have to babysit them.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a guy that has a lot of artistic skill, can plan/draw to scale, does really top notch work. He has a two year applied science horticulture degree, and is knowledgable about plants/trees, etc. and what works where and why. We are planning on paying him a year round salary, this was before he started doing some designs. For designs he gets a pre set $ amount if the clients just want the design done to scale and plan to do the work themselves or by someone else. he gets an even larger $ amount if the client wants the design and we also do the work.

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. Maybe others have opinions on what type of person to hire.....

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

re they are properly motivated. You can help this by treating him well, respect him as a person and respect his abilities. The line here is fine, rely too heavily on this person and he may try to take advantage of you. All I can say is feel out as many people as you can, We hire all new employees on a trial basis and will review their performance, relations with clients, and ATTITUDE at the end of their trial period. This practice has resluted in a good employee base, retention of employees is just as critical as retention of clients, sometimes even more so since lots of hardscaping and design/install jobs are one timers.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have a guy lined up to run a hardscape crew for me next year. This guy is most likely better than me and has more experience too. All i have to do is giving him the plan and spending a hour on site the first day and i know the jobs will come out good.

I plan on paying him 17-18 to start. If it works out good, 25-30 an hour will not be out of the question in 2-3 years.

Matt