pesticde?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenthumb, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Greenthumb

Greenthumb Guest

I live FL and do lawncare,I work for a spray company Ihad a license for spraying in a nursey i swich jobs and dint get my ceus. why or do you need a license.for lawncare

2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you need a Landscape Maintenance Pest Control Qualified Applicator License. Call your local Department of Pesticide Regulation for details on how to obtain it...<p>The next testing out here (locally, anyway) comes in September. That gives me three months to send for the info and get ready for the exam. I expect to be Qualified by the Fall. ;)<p>-TGC <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: TGCummings

3. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

In Florida to can attain the limited pesticide applicators license. You must document 3 years in the profession, have 400k liability insurance, take an hour course and pass the exam. This can be done at your local extension office. This license allows you to used CAUTION ONLY LABEL pesticides and only on shrubs. You may not advertise this service and you must use a MANUAL backpack sprayer. This also allows you to use Roundup which you cannot do without this license. Serious fines and results will come from the Bureau of Entomology. You can apply no pesticides to any lawn, granular, liquid or otherwise. Pesticides are defined as fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, etc. <p>If you wish to become a Florida State Certified Pest Control Operator, you must work under a PCO's license for 3 years, then take the rigorous exam (4 hrs is allowed) Assuming you pass the exam (with a 12% passing rate, you can perform any of the above services. PCO categories are Lawn and Shrub, General Household Pests, Termites and Fumigation.<p>Hopes this helps.<p>Bill Phagan<br>PCO

4. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

PS<p>the limited class is an 8 hour course, then take the exam the next day.<p>It's been a long week!

5. Greenthumb

Greenthumb Guest

THANKS FOR INFO IS TEST HARD IVE WORKED IN THE FIELD OF A SPRAY TECH FOR 8 YEARS

6. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

I assume you've been ID'd under a PCO for that time....at least 3 years? The current average passing rate in Florida for all exams is 12%....is that hard? My son recently tested for his Indoor Certification, (his third try) and passed. There were hundreds of people taking the exam and 15% passed. You are allowed up to 4 hours per exam. When I took my L&O, I spent 3 hrs and 40 minutes. The exam is broken into two categories, practical and theory. You must pass BOTH sections with a 75% passing grade or fail...exam fees are $225 each time you test and you can test quarterly presently. You may want to take a &quot;primer course&quot; prior to the exam....about $300 per category but it will help tremendously. You can contact Doug Palmer for more info at 800-321-8612 about his classes.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.

7. It seams to me that the state of FLA in not<br>interested in getting contractors licensed and insured just collecting high testing fees.<p>Policies like this are completly counter productive to actual protecting the general public.<p>This state (Fla) has made it so difficult to get a license most contractor will just continue to<br>apply w/o insurnce or license.