Pesticide and herbecide licence ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kransco, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Kransco

Kransco LawnSite Member

Where does one go to obtain these licences ? Also, any idea how much it will cost ? :help:
    Thanks in advance for responding !
    Kransco (Soon to be a 26hp Walker owner)

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

For turf? First you have to work under someone who is licensed for 3 years. For limited commercial (shrubs and roundup and things like that) take a test.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Find your local Cooperative Extension Service and they will tell you what it costs. Here in georgia the -how to apply pesticides correctly- book is $15. The -ornamental and turf- book is $25. The test is $25. These books go into great detail and the test has got to be tough. Some guys have to take 4 and 5 times to pass.

4. lawnman_scott

But since he is in FL and not GA the test will cost $150, and he cant do turf unless he works under somone for 3 years.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

wow, thats a lot of money. How can you work under someone else when you are a sole proprietor? Thats a huge inconvenience

6. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

I know a guy that had to take the test 4 times before he passed. He told me that the test was pretty detailed and that you must really study the book in order to pass. Fla is really high with the 150.00 thats just stupid. ;)

7. lawnman_scott

You cant for the most part. And who would want you to anyway, if they are going to create competition for themselves.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes planning comes into play very early in your formative years. You want to run a successful full service company, you have to plan how to do that. You can either get a degree in your field, work under someone license to gain the intern requirement,and then start your company or you can hire someone who has that license to run the pesticide division of your company.

The work requirement may seem unfair, but it is there to prevent someone who doesn't know how to use pesticides from using them.

9. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

For me it was:
    Turf and Ornamental Book $15.00
    Pesticide Applicating Correctly $15.00
    Taking of class and both test $30.00
    Sending in for actual license $90.00
    Passing test the first time $ Priceless!
    I do agree with the other post, read them books inside and out, back and forth, I also know some people that had to take it 3 and 4 times to pass. Don't think you will just get lucky by not studying, even if you did, it will surely hurt you down the road by not actually knowing the material. In my state, I could also study and read the material on line, you might check that out, call your county ext office, they will help you through. Good Luck