Pesticide applicators insurace?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fertboy, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Fertboy

Fertboy LawnSite Member

Hey Folks,

New to the great site. I have been licensed in MD for 7 yrs Turf/ Ornamental. I worked for a mid sized company & left them to take over my fathers farm after he passed away in 04. Right now I have all my ducks lined up to open my own business fert/squirt, in a different part of the state 120 mi away. I would appreciate any help, suggestions on some insurance companies that cover pest applicators? Are the cost super high, due to the nature of work?

Thanks!

Ed

2. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

out of all the insurance companies ive found erie is the lowest and they do this type of liability in my area. I found my insurance in the phone book from a company that advertised farms and farm equipment to be their specialty. same ball park i guess.

3. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here.. I just called everyone in the phone book... best price on a $100,000 policy was about $700 per year..

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Based on what exposure?

$100K revenue or $100K of insurance?

There has to be different plans available.

You have one guy wanting to spray Round-Up along curb cracks, and then you have a 15 crew fert & squirt corporation.

5. Fertboy

Fertboy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. In MD we need $300,0000 min. When you apply for a quote, will proof from Dept Ag, that you have held app license for several years help. I have been licensed without gap for several years, and would assume prior experience would be a factor they consider? I also hear about if having part of your busniess non pest, this helps rates. Will aerations,dethatching lawn renos be of help? It's funny I manage a farm, and I have all my crop pest spraying contracted through Royster Clark,just so I don't have to deal with this. I appreciate the help, this seems to be the only major hurdle I have no been able to jump.

Thanks! Ed

6. Fertboy

Fertboy LawnSite Member

New here,

Forgot to mention, I will be applying 3-way,manage,ester, pre emergent,fungi etc.

Thanks! Ed

7. Rayholio

That's 100K of coverage. here is missouri, I believe that they only require 25,000..

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

$100K.....$25K coverage! Why even have it?

You can screw up a LOT more fert'n and squirt'n than you can mowing lawns.

I just don't get the low requirements?

9. Rayholio

LOL I dunno bro... When I renew, I'm going a lot higher.. just have to be carefull for now

10. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

in s. fla when you bid properties (hoa's n such) they require a 1mil policy.