Pesticide Ban

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by First Call, May 21, 2003.

1. First Call

First Call LawnSite Member

I may have to deal with a ban in my Town in the next year or so.
    Spraying for chinch bug is big business here. what else can you do with them ?

How about weed control?

Have any of you had to deal with this?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Elaborate more. What is being banned, by who, etc.

Mike

3. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

4. Grassmechanic

Mowerparts - Website told me nothing about banned pesticides, it was selling an organic program.

Mike

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Grassmechanic, over here some areas are making any pesticide use for cosmetic purposes illegal. I am trying to work on a big commercial bid and they are covered with dandelions but will not allow me to use chemicals. Going to happen province wide soon.

6. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

St. John's wants to ban all 'cosmetic' pesticides in 2004.

7. Grassmechanic

Can you get more specific? I'm looking for chemical names, who is banning i.e. local govt., county govt., etc.

Mike

8. First Call

First Call LawnSite Member

It's starting in thegrassguy's city. The City councill is going to bann the use of all insecticides, herbicides and fungicides.
    That are used for cosmetic purposes.

So cantoo, what are you doing?

and grassguy, i know you must be worried about the loss of chinchbug bus. what are you doing? ( I'm not in your area ) You probably know who I am by the name.

9. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I have not heard a lot of specifics on the ban but we have one councilor here who wants to push this ban through. Not sure of his reason yet (popular opinion says votes).

Chinch bug is a real problem here and I guess what is lost from spraying them will be picked up by other services in an attempt to keep the lawns as healthy as possible to reduce the impact of chinch bugs. Aeration and topdressing are becoming more popular now as well as converting lawn areas into beds etc. As I mentioned in another post, I have had a number of requests to add white clover to some lawns. I have not seen the endophyte treated rye grass here yet - has anyone used it and does it work?

First Call I don't know who you are yet, where are you located?

10. Grassmechanic

The reason I'm asking is, here in S.E. Michigan, we are doing battle with two big problems. The first one is West Nile Virus, which is spread by mosquitoes and is killing people with weakened immune systems. The second one is Emerald Ash Borer which is wiping out all ash trees that become infected. If any pinhead politician around here was to try to ban our weapons against these pests, I'm sure they'd be about as popular as the Dixie Chicks at a White House picnic. You should try to educate those morons that are pushing for pesticide bans as to the detrimental effects it could have on you folks down the road. Round up (no pun intended) all your local lawn buddies and attend the city council meetings and let your voices be heard. BTW Merit is showing some good results on Emerald Ash Borer if it is used as a preventive.

Mike