Pesticide Bans

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by golfguy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

This is something that is making strong rounds in Canadian communities. To date, there are over 100 municipal by laws on cosmetic use of pesticides in Canadian Cities.

Is there any push for such bans in the US? Have any been succesful?
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in one of the hotbeds for restrictions and bans. The county next to me just passed a law that you can't even apply ferts until March 15. Merit has just gone from general use to restricted use. There is a bunch of stuff I can't use at all, including most sytemic fungicides.
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean that even home owners can not use pesticides anywhere ??
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

MA, NY and CT (there may be others) have been passing many laws lately restricting the use of fertilizers and pesticides, especially on K-12 use fields (soccer, baseball, etc.). It is a water quality and child issue as children are the most susseptable to pesticides and there are many studies coming back that have been done over many years that are showing very high levels of N, P and pesticides in wells and streams.
    One study showed that the level of DDT in river silt is as at exactly the same levels it was in 1970.
    There is a tidalwave of legislation coming, it stems from an EPA study that was done from 1999 to 2005 and was just recently released. It showed 18% of wells and 24% of streams had levels of pesticides that were considered toxic to humans.

If cities have to move entire populations to different water sources it will be a huge economic issue as well
  5. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

That is correct. It is a nearly blanket ban on the cosmetic use of pesticides with some municipalities giving a few exemptions to IPM accredited agents through the ontario IPM council.
  6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Merit has been restricted use for several yrs now.
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess that stuff in my shed must be pretty old then! :laugh: