Pesticide exam

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by chefdrp, Nov 3, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi all. I got my application for my peticide exam today. Going to be taking the exam in Dec. How hard is the test? And for NY guys, do you also have to work for a certified applicator for a year?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Darrin, I'm not sure about NY, but in WV when I took mine, it sounded similar. They request one year spray experience before licensing can start, but how can you spray for someone else when you own your biz? That was my question to the dept. of agriculture here. I said" wouldn't it be illegal for me to spray and spread for a year with no license to meet the criteria?" and the lady was like,"hmmm, I guess so.I don't know where that rule came from." They were happy with the fact I have been in the green industry since I was 16, at various jobs( greenhouse, parks and recreation, florist, other LCOs and LMOs, etc.) over the years. She said 16 years of field experience was more than enough to qualify for taking the exam.If it's anything like ours, it's tough , so study hard.A few sections were open book, though. Get in touch with a local Hort. / LA professor at a local college in town. That's who has the booklets and books here anyways.I got some material from the state Ag. dept., and the rest from the prof's at WVU. Good luck!!
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

DRP- did you check the NYSDEC website? I beleive most of the info is there. I took the test almost 10 years ago and things have changed a lot since then. I had to have a certified applicator "sponsor" me for two years before I got my full license. I worked on my own but he had to review my records, etc. I believe they do allow self employed people to apply on their own now as a fully licensed applicator. I'm not fully up on the regs lately, I have been subbing out a lot of my fert work. Let me know if you don't find what you need and I can make a few phone calls. Mike
  4. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Michigan it may work similar.

There are 2 for the individual, which certifies him to apply pesticides immediately, if working for another company.

License 2: This is a license for the business to advertise and supply pesticide services. In order to get this you must have 1 employee with at least 2 years of experience (with a personal license).

So, in Michigan you have two options. Get your personal license, work for someone else 2 years, then get your business license. By the way, in MI there's no requirement for "hours of experience" You can in fact, work for someone else the day after you recieve your license, then again 2 years later. That's considered 2 years of experience. So, if you're going to wait, grab a friend with a company and work 2 days for him....but you'll have to wait 2 yrs to do it ofr yourself.
    Option 2: Hire a licensed applicator who already has 2 yrs experience, and your business can get the license immediately. Just keep him and use him for a couple seasons of pest. applications. At that point, you'll have 2 years of experience (working for a licensed company...your own) and can do it yourself.

As far as the exam, it's not tough. I got a 96% on mine, and the Mich dept. of Ag offered me a job, since I did better than most of the people working there! Anyway, not trying to pat my own back, but the truth is that I was told it was difficult and I spent WAY too much time studying for something that wasn't tough....although I did see people failing it. Anyway, my theory was better safe than hard, and you'll ace it.

Good luck, don't sweat it.