Pesticide facility inspection!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by yardprospraying, Jul 26, 2006.

1. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Just had my first inpsection since I started the biz 5yrs. ago.

Got a call, early Mon. morn from department of ag boys, wanting to come out right away to inspect our facility. I just about fell over! I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong or what. I scheduled him for Tues. afternoon.

He came out and looked at everything (and I mean everything). He first started in our shop. He wrote down the epa reg# for every single chem. (that took a while) then drilled me to death on questions that imho were just plain silly. Also we are required to either have a sign on the shop showing pesticide storage facility, or have chems in storage locker with signs on it.
    Next we went inside the office and went through gobs of paper work, app. dates, prop addresses, blah blah. Apparently according to the rules and regs. we were supposed to have rate, reason for app.(specific) app. volume per property, restricted entry,chemical % mix rate, and app. start and finish time. The funny part about it is that we aren't even required to log wind, speed, temp, and conditions.

I asked him what they did about unlicensed applicators, and he said he stoped someone the other day on an atv spraying without a license, and he said "you better quit" and the guy told him he was doing it as a favor, no money involved! Talk about a joke! We bust our rears out here trying to obey, and he gets a verbal warning, come on now whats the point in being licensed!

I guess I passed the test, just have a headache and alot of more paper work to do in the future. Btw when he scheduled he said it would take 1-1/2 hrs. for inspection. He was there 3hrs!!!!!!!

I just wanted to forewarn anyone else in Oklahoma, that you could be next!

I guess our rules and regs. are pretty easy compared to some other states though.

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Your tag gives you all the more reason to go by the "book". Do all your work as unto Him and you can't go wrong.

I have been inspected every year for 15 of the last 25 that I have been licensed to apply restricted chems. First as a vegetable grower and then as a landscape contractor. It does pay to do things right.

I think that the EPA out here are really sticklers for doing it right as all our water is affected when done wrong. No second chances given.

All the best to you.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

"no money involved"

only businesses are regulated,,,,,if you dont "show a charge" your not really in business.....oldest trick in the book.

4. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

What happend to "rules & regulations." According to our state laws, you must be a comm. applicator to apply any pesticide/herbicide for monetary gain. You can have a non-comm. license and spray (ex: state employee) but he had no license whatsoever! If he was spraying without a license isn't that illegal? No money involved shouldn't be an issue when it comes down to it.