Pesticide, herbicide, fertilizer licensing in Georgia

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Brad Davis, May 31, 2004.

1. Brad Davis

Brad Davis LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me info on where to get the study materials, take the test, cost, etcetera? Thanks for all help!

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Local cooperative extension office of UGA. Good luck!

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

4. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

5. Brad Davis

Hey Allen, thanks man!

6. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Brad, it is a two part test: General Standards (easy) and Ornamentals & Turf. (MUCH more difficult) You must pass both, but if you pass one (Gen. Standards) and fail the other, you retest on the one you failed only, no extra fee.....Failure rate for the O & T part is 50% I am told. You can only retest once in any given month. It was tough to me because it was very broad focus test. You need to know more than a little about every thing in the UGA study guide (you need this!!!!)
    Good Luck!!

7. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

True.. Lean the O & T book backwards and forwards!! The test is tough!!!!!!!!

8. Brad Davis

Where do I get the study materials? Thanks for the heads-up!

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The test is basic knowledge and common sense. I went to UGA last year never having even looked at the books. Had no intentions of even taking the tests just wanted a first time exposure to the requirements. After 8 hrs of different people discussing the material and slide show presentations I decided to take the test just to see what material was on it. The testing fees are refundable if you fail so I thought what the heck. Ended up with a turf and ornamental pestcontrol license. Ive never used them alto I might in the future. I just dont feel comfortable that the class qualified me to go out and start spraying chemicals. I have learned more here at Lawnsite about pestcontrol than the class taught me.

10. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Hey Allen! I was inspected on 6-4-04. Was it Rick that inspected you?
    Brad these guys are right. I don't know if you have experience or not. The more you have the better. You can pass the test just by reviewing the book.
    Call 404-656-4958 That's for GA Dept. of Ag tell them what you need. You'll probably talk to Martha.
    THey offer the test at the trade show in Atlanta. That is also a good place to get recertification credits by attending their seminars. They offer a review session from 8AM till lunch and the test after lunch. That's the best thing to do in my opinion. I think the show is in Dec. That would give you plenty of time to study.
    I can't remember who puts on the show. Look up Ga green industry assoc. on the net or maybe grow and mow expo (GAME)
    or you could look up the supt. assoc. at GGCSA Call them they can tell you when and how to register.