1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pesticide Inspection

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TJLANDS, Feb 7, 2006.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Had an inspection today from the DEP. I have a question for NJ applicators. Do your workers require an operators license to spray Roundup. I have had my license for 15 years and don't recall needing an operators license to spray roundup for each employee. How many of you guys keep a hand held sprayer for your guys to spray curbs or beds? I was told that each employee must go to class for an operators license even if he sprays only roundup.
    Other than that everything else was fine.
  2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the way it is here, unless you as the "master applicator" are within verbal and visual range of one another.
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Here, if you apply any pesticide registered with the EPA, for compensation then you need a license. Doesn't matter if it's Weed & Feed or Scott's with Halts from Wal-mart.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here, you have to ATLEAST be a certified tech.. Of course, the business itself has to be licensed, also. I don't want to decieve any newbies on here that think that if they're certified, that they can go out and spray on their own.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I know that,
    Now I have to license all of my employees as pesticide operators if they are ever going to spray ,or it is a $900 fine each time. I have a hand sprayer or backpack sprayer with all my crews so they can spot spray any weeds they see in beds, cracks in the walks or curbs. As I am sure every other one does in NJ with more than one crew. I see them every day.
    I guess i am just venting. It is just adding more cost to a job that is hard enough to be competitive in. In a field that I take pride in being 100% legit they are making it harder and harder to stay that way.
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

in fla each employee needs an id card