Pesticide Insurance

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by, Dec 12, 2006.

1. LawnSite Member

i am wondering what coverage pesticide insurance i should have. i have 1 mil liability and work comp. i want to know what the management companies are requiring are far as pesticide coverage and what the cost is. my agent told me that for $700 above my liability i would have 1 mil pesticide coberage. is that a good price? is that too much coverage?
  2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of pesticide coverage. I have general business insurance which includes a pesticide endorsement written on the policy.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Shoudl be the same policy that you already have, just re-rated to include the type of services you provide. I think you need to talk to your agent again and have him add the pesticide service to you policy and just have it re-rated.
  4. Otownlost

Otownlost LawnSite Member

There are General Liabilty policies for pest control operations. These will provide coverage for specific occurrances to the pest control operator. Your current general liability may not cover your applications without an endorsment. You will also want to look at transit polution coverage. Each state will have minumum requirments for your coverage limits pertaining to pest control operations. Check your states agriculture department web site for specifics.
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

When I had my own landscape business in Lansing I had a basic contractor's policy with one million dollar coverage. I think I paid an extra $150 per year to get the coverage up to two million. This general policy covered pesticide applications in landscape settings. If you did structural pesticide apps you might need a specific policy. Explain to your agent exactly where you apply pesticides. My agent tried to charge me a lot more for doing irrigation installs. He said I had to be covered as a plumber as well as landscaper. After explaining exactly where I was attaching irrigation to the water supply the agent realized I did not need coverage as a plumber.