pesticide laws???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we know that you need to be licensed to apply pesticides. we know that in order to store them, the facility must be locked, and labeled "pest storage area", and be registered with the boro as a pest storage area. NOW, we know that if you use viniger to kill weeds, it now becomes a pesticide, and you must be licensed to use it. BUT, do the same storage regulations apply, if you keep that bottle of viniger in your garage?

2. lawnboyCO

lawnboyCO LawnSite Member

Who knows? I always think about the same kind of things also, a pesticide is anything used to control a pest right? So if I roll up a newspaper and swat a fly is that newspaper now considered a pesticide, so should I flag it? lol

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I realize that some states are more laxed on their knowledge requirements than others (some people talk about how they don't even have to study for their tests, or glance through the book while they're driving down the road on the way to take it). However, I am willing to bet, that even thiough it may not have BEEN on the test, that it is still probably somewhere in the book...and that is this: If it is not labeled for a particular use or target pest, it cannot be used to control that pest. That is the law. Now, maybe it is different in some states, but when it comes to this, I doubt it. This is federal. Contrary to what some people think, you can NOT use vinegar on weeds, you cannot use corn gluten, you can not use soap, chewing tobacco juice, any of Martha Stewart's recipes, or any of Jerry Baker's ("America's Master Gardener") guru methods.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wrong runner, my friend who works in the d.e.p dept of pesticide control, said you CAN use household remedies, but, you must be licensed to use them. and yes, i glanced at the book on the way to the test while driving, and at red lights i read the racing form.

5. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Laws are funny depends on the state. To give any advise first we would need to know the state you are in.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

I hate to disagree with you, but I believe you have it backwards. It is the Area and plant that determines the application of Pesticides. Not the insect or disease. Golf Courses can still buy and use Dursban on the course. If they have a fungus they can still apply Dursban even if it doesn't cure that fungus. However we can't buy or use Dursban on Chinch bugs even though it will kill them.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That was the particular use portion of my response. For instance, I would LOVE to be able to go out and spread rock salt on my infields and warning tracks of my baseball fields to control the weed growth. However, even though it is just rock salt, here in Michigan, I can't. Can I use glyphostae with salts in it? No. It is not labeled for athletic fields. There are many, many other examples of this. This applies to me using salts, tobacco juices, dish soap, machine guns and hand grenades on Mrs. Johnson's lawn, too. :)