pesticide license?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bergys, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bergys

bergys LawnSite Member

Do you need a license to spread fertilizer to residential?

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the state but usually no as long it is ONLY fertilizer. Others that are from NJ can tell you about the NJ laws.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, and if you do it without, you will get caught.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That is a very good question. I am in south jersey as well and recently just found out the answer from the extension office. The answer is both yes and no for new jersey. You do not need any license or certification to just lay down just fert. However, if you are going to apply a weed & feed you do. With this said most customers are going to want a weed & feed in their fert. program and this means you will have to be licensed. First step is to contact your local extension office in your county. I hope that this helps.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Bobby giving out bad advice again. :D

According to Trinity you can do only fertilizer without a license.

6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I think Bobby was trying to get this guy to go to the source(the state of NewJersey) and get the answer. If you are in this business you should know the rules and if not call the state and find out. They are more than glad to steer you to the right way of doing business.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anybody who services our cool season turf types, and claims to apply "only fertilizer" is a LIAR LIAR LIAR. you cannot get results without at least an occasional herbicide treatment, and surface insect control. the fines are getting huge too. one guy here got a $3,000 fine, just for not having his name on the warning flag

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That wasnt the question though. He asked if he needs a liscense to spread fertilizer, and you told him yes.

9. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Although the answer to the question is "no" I do agree with bobby. In my opinion you should be licenesed. If you plan on doing any kind of fert. it is just a good business practice. It is better to be safe than sorry. Totally agree that I do not see how you will have any kind of chemical program that consists only of fert. As philk17088 stated the state will point you in the right direction.