Pesticide licensing exam?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by allstar, Sep 22, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I received my study materials for the pesticide licensing exam which I'm scheduled to take in November.Man,that's ALOT of material!!The lady I spoke with(at Clemson U.) told me I needed to take the 'core' and 'category 3' sections.Is this correct?Also,how difficult is the exam?I have 2 pretty good-sized (around 180 pages each)study manuals.For those of you who have taken the test,are the questions relatively general ones or do I basiclly need to memorize these manuals?Fortunately,I have 6 weeks to prepare for it.Thanks in advance.
    Jim

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you need core and cat. 3. Don't worry, if you read the books, the test is a breeze. If you don't read the books, depending on how in-depth you've been here on LS and various trade mags, the test is still a breeze ...

Good luck!

3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

That's a relief! I'll definitely read the manuals,though and do some studying.I was just worried that there would be alot of detailed and technical stuff on the exam,Thanks.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Read the test questions at the end of each chapter. Most of the test questions are the same as the one's at the end of the chapters.

5. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I'm taking my test October 1. The general section material seems straight forward and I feel pretty confident about that part, but the Turf & Ornamentals part is all over the place in the GA book. No review questions and I have very little idea what they expect you to know. Anyone ever taken the GA test?

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

GerogiaGrassMan- I took the test last year there will be 200 questions first 100 easy second 100 study study and study some more i had to take the second part on T&O again. give me a call 706 858 0875 if i can help you.

7. GeorgiaGrassMan

J&R - thank you for the offer. I'll give you a call. I'm curious about how many of these bugs and weeds I need memorize facts about. The GA T&O study guide is terrible.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The written was pretty easy, but the oral was tough. Does everyone need to take the oral exam??? Or is that distinctive to CT???

9. GeorgiaGrassMan

I don't think you have to say a word here in Georgia.

10. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I took the NC test and passed with an 87/100 without even BUYING the materials. I read a lot on Lawnsite, scanned the web for test questions and used a lot of common sense. I'm sure the 13 I missed were mainly from the "knowledge" section- ie where it asks what kills what and other laws. As far as the other stuff like safety, and calculations- I thought it was cake.

Heck- 15 questions or so was on READING A LABEL!!!!

Keep in mind I'm a CPA full time and this was just to be able to shop at Lesco- I don't do applications for anyone else.

Oh yeh- we have to pass a pretty hard exam too- less than 15% pass and it took me 3 times.

Good luck man! Don't get nervous and use process of elimination. It worked for me. Look at the 4 choices and eliminate one. Then read the question again and try to eliminate one more. If you have to guess you now have a 50% chance instead of 25%.