Pesticide suppliers Tampa

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Y-von, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Y-von

Y-von LawnSite Member

I will be taking the lawn & ornamental pest control license & cert. exam in sept. (i have already passed the requirements through education & am signed up for the exam) and providing i pass would like to start my own business. I would like some info on who supplies pesticides and herbicides in the Tampa Bay area? What equipment is needed? Is it getting harder and harder to get chemicals? I don't have much hands on experience in this field only book knowledge. We have a small family business 30 years (in something completely different) so i don't have time to work with a lawn pest control company which i know will be a disadvantage for me, but i feel i can make this second company work.

2. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Y-von,
    Unless you have a college degree in a related field, you have to posses 3 years experience in lawn and ornamental pesticide application to get the certification. ( Doesn't sound as though you have experience) Are you referring to the limited license for lawn ?
    Pest control is not a field you should "feel" your way through. Book knowledge, while essential, is useless without having the practical application experience. Not trying to be elitist, or condescending, however, as professional we have the responsibility to apply products safely and in a consistent manner. It is not as simple as license, truck, chemical, GO!
    Hope you are not offended. I suggest that you take the time to ride with a pro in your area.
    As far as distributors, there are many which deliver in your area.
    Also, to be legal in Florida, you are going to need General Liability Insurance for the application of pesticides.

3. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

Y-von,
    You will need a lot of guidance getting into this field without experience. I would suggest contacting your local Lesco supplier. They generally have a knowledgable staff that is very willing to help you setup a program that will work for you, using their products.
    Good Luck on the test! It has been 14 years since I took it and it was a toughy then. The pictures they used were awful. If you couldn't see the slides as they were presented, you could go to the front of the room and look at crappy polaroids.
    Good Luck,
    Greg

Forgot the link. This is a link to the Tampa location: http://www.lesco.com/prodcatalog/storefinder.aspx?store=406

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

greg these people in the industry would rather see you jump off a building than to see you grow a bidness that will compete with them. spray people hate competiton.

pro source
    verticon
    lesco
    bwi

all can help you out.