1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pesticide use in swampy areas?????????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cantspranomo, Apr 15, 2004.

1. cantspranomo

cantspranomo LawnSite Member

I may have a chance for a job in lower area of my state(la) and i think some of you may have had this experience. In areas that are protected say like swamps and areas that have to remain natural, where do you go for information??
    i sure hope somebody can help, i need to get prepared to do the right thing. i hope.
    mostly it will be spraying herbicides and fertilizers.
    thanks for at least reading this
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

In your part of Louisiana I can't see much need for fertilizer in lowlands, They are pretty much Gumbo Mud. Gumbo Mud has grown Sugar Cane for over a 100 years without Fertilizer. However Crawfish people are very concerned with Pesticides, Fipronil in particular.

However Rodeo, Now Aqua master is a non-select herbicide that is labeled for ponds and lakes. If you can give me a little more information as to what you are doing I may be able to help you. I worked for the State of Louisiana before I retired and moved back to Florida. Part of my job was working with Agriculture concerns just up the road from you.
  3. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

Ric, Good advice. the bigger question is to get someone to give a definition of what constitutes swampland, and or wetlands in other parts of the country. this is a great big old grey area in our industry. ask 5 people, you get 5 defimitions, and these could be the employees who crafted the law.
  4. cantspranomo

ok fellas thanks a lot for answering.
    this is what it is.
    ric, i,m glad you said dept. of ag., i've started questioning in that direction already. the place is a new golf course in the Atchafalya basin, landscapiong all around and through. i know this is a lot different than just lawns and other landscape areas, because of its location. they are having to leave areas natural, but they still require being made to look good
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I hope I didn't miss-lead you. Re-read what I said. I worked for the Place that is better Know as the "FARM". Yes it has a lot of Agricultural interests.
  6. cantspranomo

soooo,ric, then what do you know about my swampy discussion. yessir i believe i understand your reference to the "FARM", but still i will refer back to main question. can you give advice, since you know where i'm talking about , geographically, speaking.
  7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you have to have a special license and insurance coverage to treat wetlands or swamp areas?
  8. cantspranomo

yessir, have it, not to be short, but i really have not put that particular area in to practice yet. that is why i am researching all i can beforehand. i want the job and i want to do a good job. it could last a long while. in this kind of situation, research beforehand can make the difference
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Is this new Course on Jessie Ours side of the river? Now for those in Fly over country, Jessie Ours(oar-So) was the sheriff of Iberville Parish. He was arrested and convicted for fraud. He was sentenced to one year in the Iberville Jail. Of course he was still Sheriff while serving his sentence. Now only the Sheriff Deeda of St Landry Parish story is better because he was re-elected while he served his sentence in his own Jail. Of course the second Hughie P. Long, Edwin Edwards 4 term Governor of Louisiana is now in the federal prison in Dallas Texas. Got to love Louisiana Politics. Actually Louisiana is a Great State and I love it. Cantspranomo home town is the Jambalaya Capital of American and you haven't eaten Cajun until you been to the Jambalaya Festival

Natural areas are just that Natural. The plants have grown there for thousands of years without any form of Pesticide or Fertilizer. Now what should you consider when manicuring these areas??

1. First and foremost are they still Natural. Has the building of another Arnold P. Golf Course around them disturbed the environment enough to impact these areas. Will there be run off to this areas. This is in fact a consideration of the architect.

2. Since Natural planting are done by Mother Nature, She has selected plants that are resistant to the normal Pests and diseases of the area. Therefore regular treatment should not be necessary. However it a world where the word Globalization is a everyday word, These plants are subject to Exotic pestilence. IPM is the watch word here. If Dr. Bill Nettles is still with the LSU Entomology Dept. He would be the one to contact. Only after diagnoses of the pest can you treat effectively.

3. Everyday Manicuring should consist of a chain saw and a good herbicide that is Aquatic labeled as not to up set the Crawfishermen. Lord know the Chemical plants dump enough stuff. Roundup will kill fish. Even though Aquamaster has the same Active Ingredient the surfactants are poisons to Aquatic life. Therefore I would suggest that you buy two books put out by U of Florida book store. "Upland and Wet Land Management" and "Aquatic Management. You might find them Cheaper at Amazon than the U of F book store.

Not sure if I helped you but I loved telling the political history of Cajun Country.

Laissez le bon roulement
  10. cantspranomo

:D :D :D :)
    ric, man you sure said a mouthful about our wonderful state's politics. even with all of the pollution and chemical plants this is still god's country.
    i very well understand what you said about the natural areas and there will be run-off, the architect put in a lot of man-made hills. yes, i believe a chain-saw will be a very important tool, as will a good snake repellant. can you reccommend one:)
    on the aquatic manuals, i already own the training manual for aquatic applicators, i will look for and get the ones you reccommend. by the way the training manual was written by and for florida university professors. la.dept.ofag. uses it for training.

laissez bon temps roulet
    let the good times roll

ps this place is southeast of the godd sherriff