1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pesticides and DOT in NJ

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JRJFENCE, Jan 17, 2013.

1. JRJFENCE

JRJFENCE LawnSite Member

I'm working on getting my licenses for pesticides in NJ, does anyone know if we need to have a DOT # if we have any pesticides in the trucks?

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the dep site all the licensing requirements are on there. Dot number and pesticide lic number are two different things. Dot number would be more based on gvw of the truck.

3. JRJFENCE

JRJFENCE LawnSite Member

I looked on the site and I couldn't figure it out. It says if you have any toxic substance you need to have a DOT number, well pesticides are toxic as well as the fumes from gas, but I don't think we need placards for that, so I'm not really sure, I guess I'll call the DOT tomorrow and figure it out.

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

DOT# is not required. However there are DOT Reqs that do apply, such as carrying labels & MSDS's in the drivers side door pocket. Contact the NJ Landscapers Association & ask for help finding regs.

5. JRJFENCE

JRJFENCE LawnSite Member

Thanks phasthound, thought I would need DOT #. I thought that as long as MSDS sheets were in the truck I'd be ok? What if I leave them in a cabinet in the back of the box truck?

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

They must be placed in a pocket on the driver's door. This way if the driver is unconscious or unavailable, emergency personnel will have immediate access to what materials are in the truck.

7. JRJFENCE

JRJFENCE LawnSite Member

Ok that makes perfect sense. Thank you.