Pesticides and ferts: What kind of revenues?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mark McC, May 20, 2005.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll get my pest/fert license for Virginia this winter simply because I want my company to be a one-stop shop for all my customers' needs. I'd like to know how large a revenue stream this could generate because if it looks like something serious, some equipment might be in order.

For those of you who do just mow/edge/trim as well as a full package (mow/edge/trim/blow AND fert/pest control) for your customers, what percentage of your routine revenues (not including mulching, leaf work and so on) are pest/fert services?

Incidentally, my route is residential with lots running between a third of an acre to a full acre.
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I just received my license and was wondering the same thing.
  3. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Coming up with YOUR system is where you will make money

By that You need to come up with a 5 or 6 step system and go from there and once you have a few yards (including your own) to show off everything will fall into place and you will find that Squirt and fert can have a much higher profit margin than mowing
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I find that mowing lawns is much more profitable than squirt and fert, with much fewer headaches.

But I also find that customers who hire us to mow and do the chemical applications tend to stay on the schedule longer than those who only have us mow.

On the flip side, the chemical program can also cost you not only a chemical customer, but also a mowing client. I've had several get mad about one aspect of the chemical program or another (usually the yellow pre-m coloration) and cancel everything.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

fert is my start up money for the year all my fert is prepayed for the year in February. If you price it right and keep it green all year long you'll find your self just fert and squirting good money in it
  6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't mow at all, just fert & squirt?
  7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

you may want to think of it like this. Mowing, planting, etc. you are getting paid for what you will do(labor). Chemical application by a knowledgeable, professional technician is paid by knowing what, when and how to apply, for what you know. Results make labor, a huge cost in our business, become a minor factor. Keep an eye to your chem costs, your routes tight and make SURE you know your products and problems cold. Weekly services build volume, specialty services build profit.
  8. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Many companies just fert and squirt and hopefully one day Ill be at that point

With ferting and squiring only you can make the same amount of Profit if not more in 6 trips to one yard than you can 26-30 trips mowing

Not to mention you can take on ALOT more customers
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Our spray division has a gross margin of around 71% with a net margin of about 34%. Mowing has a net margin of 6%.

If I could make my company just an application company I would....
  10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

no im full service just because i like too do it all not because i have too :)