1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pesticides & Blade balancing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EasylyConfused, Apr 1, 2005.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

Are Round up and Weed & Feed considered pesticides? To me a pesticide kills bugs. Sorry to ask basic questions.

Does anyone use a blade balance? I saw one today for $150. Magnetic and bolted to a wall. I saw another that sat on a bench. $5.37. Instinctivly I would rather buy the cheap one. It was just a cone that sat on a pin attached to a base. If the blade doesn't look level, it's not. Would this work? Or am I setting myself up for trouble?

Sorry about all the posts, This week has been busy!
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Insecticides kill bugs.
    Herbicides kill plants.
    Pesticides includes both insecticides and herbicides.

But... a lot of people just think of killing bugs when the hear "pesticides".
  3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I just received my certification & license in Wisconsin. Weeds are a pest so anything that kills them is a pesticide. If you apply Roundup without a license and you are what Wisconsin calls an Applicator for Hire, you are breaking the law. The cost & time I put into receiving my certification & license is cheap compared to the fines I could receive.
    Thats just my 2 cents.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Anything labeled to supress, control, or irraticate any type of unwanted pest is considered a pesticide. Here are some examples.
    Algaecide - algae
    biocide - microbial organisms
    fungicide - fungi
    insecticide - insects and other related animals
    herbicide - weeds
    miticide - mites
    nematicides - nematodes
    rodenticide - rodents
    avicide - birds
    piscicide - fish
    molluscicide - slugs and nails
    ovicide - eggs of organisms
    predacide - vertebrates
    These are all pesticides. Plus, there are other chemicals classified as pesticides that do not bear the suffix -cide.
    Growth regulator - Modifies plant or insect development
    defoliant - removes plant foliage
    desiccant - dries plant foliage
    repellant - diverts a pest ( Yard Gaurd is an example)
    attractant - lures a pest
    pheromone - may attract pests or disrupt behavior
    sterilant - renders pest unable to reproduce.
    These are all pesticides as well. Plus there are different categories and types. (i.e. general use and restricted use)
    I hope this helps.
  5. Greenside Landscaping

Greenside Landscaping LawnSite Member

yes the cheap on will work for you, thats what we use. before that i had a nail in the wall and you can just put the blade on that if one side drops take more off.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Good post....I was going to post something similar.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The cheap balancers will work, the expensive ones will work better. If you are really paranoid about maintaining your mowers, you will sleep better at night using an expensive balancer. We use the nail-in-the-side-of-the-workbench balancing system. Whatever makes you happy.
  8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased the Magana Matic blade grinder and balancer. I love the new balancer. Its dead nuts accurate. The nail on the wall works but its not accurate. The cone works but its also not as accurate as the Mag. I was having some problems with vibration so I got the new toys.
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

You may not apply any product registered with the EPA as a pesticide for compensation without a license, even if it's from Wal-mart. You can use beer, or yeast, sugar and water in a bowl to kill slugs and snails, even though you are killing pests you are not using 'pesticides'. If you are in doubt about a product look for an EPA registration #. If it has one don't use it, or get a license first. As for the balancer we use the cheap $5 sort and it works just fine.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic