Pesticides Sprayed around a Retention Pond

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Aug 20, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sub-division that wants me to bid on clean out a retention pond that runs through the middle of the community. They were told by another LCO that all they have to do is clear out the overgrown brush one time. Afterwards they will spray something non-selective once a month on it to keep it from growing. This is what she wants a bid for as well as sub-division maint.

This area is about 100 yds long, 30 yrds wide and about 30 feet deep. it slops downward on both sides at about a 45 degree angle and the brush is about 5 feet high. Yeah, its in pretty bad shape.

I wont ask any questions. I just want to see what you'll think of this request. I do want to know how you'll will handle this situation.

Thanks

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

It represents all that is wrong in this business.

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe I am misunderstanding something...whats the problem?
    rodeo is labeled for retention ponds...

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

I would make a weak mixture with rodeo to slow the growth down on the sides of the pond to keep the soil from eroding.

5. silverscapes

silverscapes LawnSite Member
    from de

use aqua star just add sufactant its cheaper you can get it at southern states don't use rodeo your just paying for the name it has a aqua label put a little amine 24-d but read the label first you can use it around ponds ...... i really like reglone ....(diquat) with a aqua label....... burns that stuff in 24 hours but hard to find ..... i'm doing something similar where i work right now:usflag:

6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Rodeo or Weedplex (from Lesco) should work. Roundup would certainly do the trick too but would be frowned upon by your state's department of agriculture. Make sure you point this out to the HOA and let them know you will be using the right stuff which costs more than Roundup.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Does this retention pond drain into town sewers ?

8. clallen03

Im not sure and the president of the HOA doesn't know either. I just want to play it safe where ever it goes.

What would you'll use to clear it out with? I have to knock those weed and brush down first before I spray it. I was thinking of getting a few day labors and hand them some trimmers and say have at it. Is there a piece of equipment that would go up and down these slopes that would clear thick brush?

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Can you get a picture of this pond?

10. clallen03

I wont have a pic until Sat. at the earliest. I will take some pics so I can get some opinions.