pesticides that you refuse to touch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fblandscape, May 27, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have been liscensed for several years to apply pesticides. However it is not something I enjoy. I have no problems with applying oils, or soaps, and few problems with Merit. However herbicides bother me in regards to application, as well as the more harsh insecticides. Does anybody else try not to touch certain types of pesticides? Whether you are liscensed or not.
  2. LawnMagic1

LawnMagic1 LawnSite Member

I dont spray insecticides. Let me rephrase that....I wont spray insecticides. They are nasty to me. I would rather sub-out spraying insecticides than actually do it myself.
  3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a mask ever time I put down a pesticide, granular or spray. But, I don't do much insecticides other than Merit and fert. combo, hate them also.
  4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I wont spray carbamates or organophosphates. Talstar is the alternative for my usage.
  5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that if you look at the LD/50 of Talstar, it is in fact lower, (meaning more potentially leathal) than Dursban.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

First off all, any synthetic pesticide, be it a fertilizer, herbicide or insecticide, has a risk associated with it.
    Second, regardless if it is a organophosphate or carbamate based insecticide, all are cancerous/lethal and the ones with the most severe side effects are the fungicides, due to repeated/prolonged exposure.
    I see more relaxed use of pps/wps safety gear with fungicides than anything else.
    Third, If you are saying not to use pesticides based on the LD - than stay away from aspirin, it's LD is 50. The vapour fumes from gasoline carries a greater degree of cancer than pesticides.
    If you are hypersensitive to a particular mode of chemical, than that tells you your application methods need to be improved.
  7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Paraquat and Diquat. I think I'm a walking time bomb - I had so much exposure to those chemicals when I was younger. If I'm not mistaken, those accumulate in your body and never break down.
  8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Rtom45 ...
    I use to spread cyanide powder around my garden when I was younger ... no gloves, mask, or anything resembling PPE. LOL
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Aluminum Phisphate is a good one to stay away from too. Some companies use this for their "mole control". It creates the gas Phosphine when it comes into contact with moisture. This stuff will fester your lungs and kill you in a minute.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

All of them. :D

Pesticide licenses are way to expensive for my blood right now. Plus I'm probably to dumb to pass the applicators test. ;)