Pesticides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GLC, Oct 30, 2003.

?

Should pesticides be used on food crops?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2003.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am doing a speech on pesticides and food crops. My question is Should pestides be used on food crops? Thanks for all the help!!

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

most pesticides if applied correctly are ok. The quality of food would be very low and areas where food is grown would be wiped out from one season to another in different areas if it was not applied. A few years ago thousands of acres of food crops where wiped out by grasshopers. walking through the fields they would fly up like black clouds. Thousands of more acres would have been lost and many farmers would have went under if it were not for pesticides. Also the price of food would be ungodly if they were not used to produce the quality and quanity of food we have today.

3. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks, that is a good reply. Are there any more replies and opinions?

4. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Answer : yes, if there are pests that reach an economic threshhold. I produce cotton, grain, and melons in addition to turf care. I compare my role as caring for these crops as a doctor cares for your health. If ill, would you take prescribed medicine from the doc? If a crop is infected with disease, weeds, or pests, should I not prescribe a pesticide to cure what ails it? If pests are not surpassing an economic threshhold (or aesthetic threshhold in turf), then the answer is no. Who in any agribusiness wants to spend our hard-earned dollars if it is not warranted? We have excellent scientifically proven crop care materials that when applied properly can work miraculously. As our farmland turns to concrete and the population grows, we best accept these technologies if we want to stay fed and clothed. Prohibiting pesticides is akin to banning medicine. Both do require professional application however. I suggest you check into the American Farm Bureau Federation website for more resources for your speech. Good luck and I'll get off my soapbox now.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

GLC

Chlordane C6 H12 CL8 is still made in this country and shipped all over the world. Many of the vegetables we eat come from third world countries that use chlordane as their insecticide.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

GLC

Pesticides are what allows the FEW to FEED the MANY. Agricultural Products are one of the last Exports that America has to compete in the world economy. Greenerpastures might be new guy here but his above post is right on. Professionalism is the key to bring on a balance in pesticide application. At present time there is a move on to require a "Certified Crop Pesticide Applicator" to sign off on all Agriculture pesticide applications.

Take the Pesticide Poisons out of the hands of the non professionals would solve the problem. However that would hurt the pocket of Corporate America. And god forbid we hurt the god almighty DOLLAR.

7. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Good posts Ric and Greener Pastures:)

I didn't realize chlordane was still manufactured and used. Got to admit it was very effective . To bad it was so environmentally detrimental