Pet Friendly Lawn Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JoeKuhl, Apr 20, 2011.

1. JoeKuhl

JoeKuhl LawnSite Member

I have client who is wanting us to try and find a pet friendly lawn fertilizer for her fenced in portion of her yard. The dog is only allowed in this area. We fertilize the rest of the yard with weed and feed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Joekuhl

2. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

I'll send over some of the fertilizer my pet makes. What's your address? :laugh:

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

What he said :)

Or dogs love licking synthetic iron granules! YUM!

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Fenced in dog area doesn't need fertilizer. Put down sugar/molasses to more thoroughly digest the excessive urea already present...

5. Candrews

Candrews LawnSite Member

There are dog safe products out there. Nature based or organic are safe for dogs. I like an 8-1-9 made by Plant Health Care which is now Lebanon Turf. No weed killer but good long lasting fertilizer.

6. Smallaxe

Are there dog spots in the grass?

7. JoeKuhl

JoeKuhl LawnSite Member

There are some bald spots in the area and the grass isn't as thick and lush as it should be. They are very picky about there yard and they just want it to look its best.

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to hijack the thread but how long after 2, 4, D use can dogs be safely let out on areas applied? :confused:

I do not buy this until it dries as per instructions. :hammerhead:

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I am not aware of any fertilizer that is harmful to pets. Obviously I think organic and organic based ferts are the better options, but for different reasons.

The issue of pet health comes into play only when using fertilizer that contains pesticides. Let's get our terminology correct.

10. Smallaxe

And dogs are the biggest challenge you willever face. Their idea of the lawn looking its best and being picky, will fall apart immediately, if you add N to the turf. Unless the dogs wiz in a litter box most of the urine will kill the lawn everywhre they go... Adding N makes the damage , much more pronounced...

I have a lawn that is home to 2 large dogs, often times 3... I Never put down N since the sod was laid... I mulch mow, aerate, use sugar/molasses, even wash the grass daily with 10 minutes of irrigation, and we still get some new dog spots during the summer, and the grass throughout is the nice dark green. Believe me, they will be so disappointed the way it is, and adding N will make it worse... :)