"Pet" peave....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Neil@PLS, Mar 23, 2004.

?

How do you handle "land mines"?

1. Do nothing and just deal with it.

33 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Charge extra to deal with it.

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Say something or refer a service.

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Neil@PLS

Neil@PLS LawnSite Member

Well, it has begun again this year .... any guesses? Dog pooh! Went to one of our regular properties today and the yard was full of "land mines". First, it's an unpleasant order; second, it gets slung all over the equipment; and finally, it gets all over you!

I hate it! We have one customer who thinks about US and although she doesn't pick up, she goes out and sprays the piles away (she also has a very green back lawn :p).

Soooo....what is the answer?:confused: If you charge more for it, you chance offending the customer (wouldn't care in some cases)? There is actually a service here locally that picks up yards...do we refer them? or do we just keep going?

How do you handle this issue?

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

cant pay me enogh for it. it gets on the equipment, on the trailer, in the truck, and all over the next customers lawn too. and also, one time when the wacker hit it, i got it in my eyes, mouth, and hair. no more

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i just mow right over it. I ride a sulky so it doesn't get on my boots either.

4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

I would either charge extra if they dont want to clean it up or I ask them to clean the dog bombs the day before I am scheduled to come.

5. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

thier is actually a company up here in nj ,and that believe it or not that is all they do it , clean up afster your dogs, the name of the company is the best part MAJOR DOODY

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two customers that have this service done a couple times a week. I am very glad they have this service, they have big labs, and would mountains of it all over the place if they didn,t. I wish all customers with pets had the service done. I believe it was the only service they offered also. I can,t remember the name though, but it had something about the smelly stuff in the name. :eek: :D

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have bigger worries.

8. Peakpm

Peakpm LawnSite Member

Bobby I had the same thing happen to an employee they were not happy. It sucks!! I’ve heard of people putting in there contracts that if its not picked up they charge extra every time, not to pick it up just because its there. I don't know I hate it but I know there’s no way I could get away with charging for it being there.

9. Kalamir

Kalamir LawnSite Member

Out here in the st. louis area it is called "Yuckos" or something like that....if you do a search on LS, the person who actually runs the business has posted on this site. If my memory serves me right that is.:confused:

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends how bad it is.If its not much i just deal with it . if it was real bad i would ask them to try and pick some up before i arrive or just try to mow around the piles i see.