Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Dec 8, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

What is it with contractors/installers that feel that sprinkler heads have to be butted right up against a sidewalk (where they get chopped up by edgers) or a wall/foundation (where heads become a knuckle buster to replace)? Do they think the grass won't get water if they leave the heads a couple inches off these hardscapes and buildings? :realmad:
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When the customer holding your highly-desired final payment check is eyeballing every blade of grass to look for water droplets hitting them, I can see where the practice could take hold, especially in an installation not using head-to-head spacing. It was so much simpler in the golden days of (sloppy) impact heads.
  3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Hayes, you gotta re-write the districts specification sheets to read that "all sprinkler heads shall be no closer than X" from all walks, curbc, patios, no closer than X" to any building foundation or other permanent structure." Then you can make them move the heads prior to final acceptance.

We keep ours 3-4 fingers, (an acceptable system of measurement in Texas) away from the curbs, walks, etc. and 6" from the foundation.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

And with those stoopid belgian block curbs, it could be a struggle to get a head within a foot of the curb, depending on how much cement is supporting them.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

2-3" from curbs here.
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Since everything is big in Tayxes, that 3-4 finger measurement amounts to roughly a foot.

And... since I was brought up doing grounds maintenance, and still do it, I learned quickly about how typical it is that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I've seen landscape construction crews screw things up for their maintenance guys by not communicating with them. Seems as if so many guys operate with blinders on.

Another thing can happen, and that is the maintenance guys often will keep cutting the edge further and further in towards the heads until the original edge has been lost. This happens especially around convex turns in the edge.
  7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

From walkways and foundations, I like the couple of inches or 3-4 fingers, but for driveways and curbs, I like something that looks more than a tire width. I feel comfortable with the idea that those idiots that cannot drive can drop off the hard surface and not impact the sprinkler head. With spray zones, this is harder than with rotors, but I still make a positive effort to keep a "traffic" cushion on drives and curbs.
  8. PurpHaze

LOL... Did that about seven years ago. :D

About the same here. Regarding "fingers"... I assume this Texas method takes into account that some guys' fingers are bigger than others? :p
  9. PurpHaze

Uh, oh... You're going to have trouble with the kind of customers Boots runs into then. But then again, maybe Kansas folk understand better that water travels. :p
  10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah Mr. Bryan, I don't care what state you hail from but you'll find many a folk who can't keep their cars on their driveways, or on the street. I bet, however, that some of us have gone as far as strategically placing large “decorative landscape rocks” just for these special people.