1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pet safe herbicides, and insecticides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thom, Feb 14, 2014.

1. thom

thom LawnSite Member

Are any of you using lawn herbicides, and insecticides that are Pet safe?
  2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

If used properly they are all pet safe, but as far as I know none of them are are labeled pet safe,
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If something is not pet safe, how are you getting away with applying it to residential lawns? Most of what I know as not pet safe went away in 2000.
  4. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

One of our customers is a married couple where both of them are veterinarians. I treat the front yard with fertilizer and weed control. Back yard with only fertilizer. Our only customer that demands I leave a label.
  5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Greendoctor, you are correct. I cannot use the word safe when talking about herbicides.
  6. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

Imho, fertilizer in any form is all natural. It's when you're applying herbicides and pesticides is when you're dealing with chemicals.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

8. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

You're worried about pet safety and yet most people put Imdicloprid and fipronel on your pets back once a month.

Some people (customers) are so stupid.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Imdicloprid has no Harvest restrictions when applied to fruits and Vegetables. We eat it all the time.

It has been theorized that Fipronel might cause Liver cancer in dogs if applied regularly for 30 years. Fipronel will build up in the liver and never go away. The average dog lives 10 years, so liver cancer is not likely.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

People safe--pet safe--not much difference. All pesticides must be tested at the maximum possible exposure situation--and the government requires a wide margin for safety. Tests for wildlife and animal effects are always included.
    Be that as it may--"Quicksilver" is one of those herbicides with an extremely wide margin for error. It is likely that a dog could eat an acre of treated grass and still not hit the danger point. You only apply about 2 ounces per acre.

Triclopyr is also very low in toxicity. Check out the LD 50.

Most crabgrass controls also have high LD 50 (meaning the toxicity is low).

And Dupont's grub control insecticide Acelyprin is officially a Federal "Reduced Risk" chemical--this designation only goes to pesticides that are extremely low in risk.

For a customer that is concerned...or been scared by inflammatory magazine articles...go with "Reduced Risk" products or go with products that are about 10 times safer than Weed-B-Gone.

Calculate how many pounds of treated grass the dog would have to eat to hit the danger point.