pet safe weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by josh3338, Jan 30, 2008.

1. josh3338

josh3338 LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

i have a cust who asked me today about what she can put in beds to kill bermuda grass. guess dog is allergic she said. but she does not want to use round up. any ideas of something safe???? surely someone else has ran into this. thanks

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing is completely safe, but there are organic versions of Round Up available. Try BurnOut II or Everything Must Go.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Spray Roundup and tell it is sugar water!

She/or the dog will never know the difference! Gly is a very safe product especially when mixed down to a 2% solution.

If her dog still has "allergies"....just tell her it must be alergic to sugar also! :laugh:

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Roundup is really quite safe.... I'm with Rodney. Just keep the dog in until the gly is dry. How the heck would she know if the dog is allergic? If she is that worried about it, put up some chicken wire to keep the dog out of the beds... which it shouldn't be messing with anyway.

5. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Ask this question in the organic side - try vinegar or a blend of vinegar and citrus acid or best use a small propane torch and burn it out - it may take several app's but this just means more money for you make sure she is aware it may take 5 or more times to get rid of the pest (Bermuda is the toughest of all pests)- who knows what the dog is allergic to but synthetic chemicals like roundup can for many folks/pets be very lethal even at 2%. My cousin has very severe autism and the doctors have positively linked it to lawn herbicides. I mayself have had reactions from applications - this is why I stopped using them.

Facts -

#1 - Organic lawn care doesn’t use toxic lawn chemicals, which make one in seven adults ill, and have shown to lead to a plethora of cancers, developmental disorders and health-related issues in children.
    #2 – Organic lawn care utilizes natural substances that are not harmful to animals. Synthetic lawn care chemicals have long been linked to reductions in bird populations and beneficial insects such as bees, which pollinate our food crops. Purdue University and others have linked lawn chemicals to cancers in cats and dogs.
    #3 – In organic lawn care, toxic pest controls are rarely necessary. The EPA estimates only 35% of synthetic fertilizers we apply ever make it to the grass – 65% runs into our ground water, lakes, streams, or volatizes into the air we breathe. Even worse, only 2% of weed killers, insecticides and fungicides treat the pest, so 98% of these poisons go somewhere else; into our bodies, our pets, into the air, or into the ground water.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Barefoot James,

Compare the LD50 of Roundup vs. Vinegar.

You will quickly see that Roundup is by far a safer product then vinegar.

Roundup is one of the safest products on the market! You still have to respect it...but it is far from "lethal" other then to weeds!

7. Whitey4

LD50 of nicotine, an organic pesticide is 4! One of the most lethal pesticides in the world!

When the EPA tests the organics the way they have tested what we use... talk to me. There is a LOT of research yet to be done on organics. And yes, people over apply this stuff. That is the problem, not the materials.

8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to start a huge argument here but I believe you are pretty loose with your statements.
    One in seven adults gets sick from herbicides. Show me the results of those tests. The EPA just completed a 21 year study that showed no link whatsoever between 2,4-d and cancer. Where are you getting your information.
    In the worst case when using straight urea with no slow release up to 15% leaches out, not 65%. Most of us use a pretty good slow release in which we have virtually no leaching of fertilizer.
    98% of the herbicides are not used by the plant. Where do you get that information. 99% of what I am spraying on the lawn is water. When you look at the amount of active ingredient in the mix versus water there is no way that 98% is released off site. In fact, studies performed by leading universities show that less than 1% of the fertilizers and herbicides applied to a site move off that site.
    I hope you don't use these facts when talking to new customers.

These type of statements really get me irritated. They have no basis in fact, but are used to scare people into thinking synthetic bad, will kill, organic good.

9. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

These type of statements really get me irritated. They have no basis in fact, but are used to scare people into thinking synthetic bad, will kill, organic good.

Mike - the most prolific (which means bears great fruit) forests (old growth, rain, etc) in the world - Question - who fertilizes those? Just God! Heck they can't even grow some of the stuff in these forests because they don't even know what it needs.
    Granted when you use nitrates they work they really work. Tons of growth - sometimes out of control growth (let me say it again UNBELIEVABLE GROWTH) but after awhile the organic material goes dead. the soil locks up due to salts lack of beneficial microbes and this area has to be treated with more and more synthetics (and water) - like drugs - it takes more and more to get the same results. These are proven facts. Why do you see places like FL doing what they are doing (watch what happens on 2009 when all the scientific results are compiled for the Washington DC project on the national lawn). Synthetics started up in WW1 - the Germans - well like any good thing (on the surface) is winding down and I would encourage you do like I'm doing and be a little more open minded towards how to go Green. It will be tougher and tougher to make a living with synthetics. Look around what do you see? People like me with medical problems why....? Until it happens to you or someone you love it just does not make sense and I understand but there are other alternatives.
    There's allot more than 2,4-d going on with synthetics - that's just one of thousands of poisons applied to yards. Would you drink it? Even 2,4-d has a LD50 rating and I bet 100% 2,4-d concentration would be a very little amount to... you. I'm sure compost tea also has a LD50 rating but you would have to drink a ton of tea and you would get sick before you could ever .... Scary stuff, those synthetics!
    By the way my business commitment is to tell everyone I come in contact with the truth - I'm 1 of the seven!

10. Whitey4

What in the flyin farts are you babbling about? Compost tea? What's IN it? Put some organic nicotine in it, and yeah, a couple drops could KILL you! Or maybe some arsenic.... or maybe the knucklhead who made the tea threw some poison ivy in it too! The problem with you organic maniacs is that you are throwing stuff down thinking it's all fine and dandy, and for all you know (or don't know) it could be freakin deadly! It hasn't been tested, nor are there any standards set for it! But throw that word "organic" in front of it and it MUST be safe! Clueless babbling....