1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pet Waste Anyone??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnCare_EMT, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

Howdy, I was E-Mailed yesterday and had a new customer ask me to come to her house just to pick up her pet waste in her backyard. Business is kinda slow and she is interested in a lawn contract for the spring :dancing:. Anyone else do this kind of service and how much do you charge??
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I am going to offer it. During the cutting season, (small properties) for those who I do apps and maintenance for, it's only 5 bucks. I don't want the stuff on my equipment. During the off season, it's 15 bucks. My customers are all very closeby. If I can get 20 houses with almost no travel time, it takes less than 4 hours and brings in $300 a week in the off season. Better than moving snow, if ya don't mind the smell and there is no equipment to worry about. I do it in my own yard with 2 dogs, so I'm used to it.

I will charge 20 for non-lawn care customers. Takes 5 minutes. Opens some doors for more work too, hopefully. I'm a solo, so this sort of thing is easy to do. Heck, I only charge 25 for cuts and edging.... picking up poop is easy money. And yes.... 20 a weekly visit is the going rate around here... and people pay it. I call em chitaphobics!
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have thought about it. But I am afraid I would feel like a complete ******* picking up poop out of someone's yard.
  4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no interest in picking up dog doo. I had one customer whose dog went in a 10 x 10 area but they never picked it up. I did not mow there and I told them I wouldn't until they got it cleaned up. They never cleaned it and I never mowed that area.
  5. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

I do it on occasion... The problem being is it can be pretty time consuming. Case in point. Once customer...3 dogs... wanted it done for ten bucks and there was easily 5 months of crap from last winter. Now I usually charge per man hour and schedule it for 35-45 minutes. somewheres between 35-45 bucks to clean up a yard. This guy was crazy, so he didn't want it done. this year, after paying an extra $5 bucks per cut each week, he was inclined to pay the $45 bucks to have it done once in December and again in the spring coming up. So get a good buck for it, because no one wants to do it. I also tie up the bag and place it in there garbage containers, I dont tow dog crap.
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow... 3 dogs over an entire winter? As a solo, that is too much crap even for me! I only offer weekly agreements. Then it doesn't take much time at all. I also throw it in the customer's garbage pails in tied plastic bags.
  8. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I'm gonna keep my full time job......no crap for me dude!
  9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

At least they aren't asking you to pick up dog pee! LOL Sorry I just couldn't resist.:rolleyes:
  10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

:laugh: They also charge $90 per hour (and they proudly advertise it). More than most lawnboys! That's awesome.